CBI 14th AAF Pilot Lt J.Minney Grouping gone :((((

jerry_k

The point is to capitalize the group to the max.

Rarely do you get more for a group together.

And rarely do you get less when you break it up.

I have collected groupings since the 80s and due to personal matters I had to sell them around 2009.

I sold the vast majority for under their total worth because I couldn’t find customers willing to pay.

During one period, in 2013, I decided to break up a group on eBay and was amazed to get 3 times my best offer.

I have no idea who the seller here is but my guess is they have had similar experiences.

If groupings brought a premium no one with a brain would break them up but they usually don’t.

I favor keeping groups together but I understand why people break them up and don’t let it bother me.

Yes of course all is about the money :( Good from dealer perspective, bad from collector perspective - nothing more. Thanks for input.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry if you want to keep it together you should contact that seller and make a very fair high offer for it all maybe they will accept...👍🏻.mike

Well, I’m not sure about your last point Jerry, but I do know there is a topic on this at least once a year.

Those against breaking up groups typically cite greed as the motivator, and “destroying history” as the result.

I have heard counter-points though, offering that it may actually be good for collectors, as it gives multiple people an opportunity to own (a) part(s) of it.  

Also maybe consider, if honoring veterans is core to our purpose, doesn’t breaking up a group facilitate that?  More people preserving / telling stories of the veteran through their artifacts?

I would add, that it’s not just collectors breaking up groups, as I’ve seen families do it.  To their defense, many times not knowing the value - historically or otherwise.  I know of a WWII Marine Purple Heart footlocker group that got drug out into a yard sale by his kids.  No malice or greed, just trying to get rid of it.  

In the end, people are free (mostly) to do what they want with their personal property, whether we may make a different choice.  

I have my own opinion, but it is just that.

It’s not always that simple.

Even families part out their relatives things to family members (so everyone has a piece) who later sell it for a various multitude of reasons.

People who are in the business of buying and selling junk do it all the time.

Estate sales murder historic groups constantly.

And some people just don’t know.

Thats just the latest.

Yes some people do it just for the money.

Its not against the law though there are many reasons why they do it.

I found out in a time of great personal need that it was beneficial. 

I didn’t go on vacation or buy a new car or even buy more stuff to sell not even a hair cut, I took care of important family obligations that benefited others.

Do I regret having to break them up? some of them I do other groups I don’t.

And yes I break up groups to make money but I’ve kept far more groups together and sold them for a cheaper price so it’s a trade off.

A group like the one in this post should be kept together but even that said someone will get a better portion, others will get less and hopefully somewhere in there, this man’s memory stays alive.

23 minutes ago, sgtdorango said:

Jerry if you want to keep it together you should contact that seller and make a very fair high offer for it all maybe they will accept...👍🏻.mike

Sorry buy I don't get your points. What is a "fair offer price". What if seller get it from family for free? 10, 150 or 1500 USD would be a fair offer?

I don't need it because USAAF is not area of my collecting but this is not point of the discussion. So please do not make a personal journey :)

Thanks Blacksmith and manayunkman about yours points of views. Of course I respect it.

Cheers,

Jerry

I forgot about the buyers who want the group but not the 12 pairs of socks or the 20 Third Army patches.

Will I take them out to make the sale? Yes

A fair offer is add up all the pieces add 15% and make the offer.

What they paid for it has nothing to do with it.

Whether it’s this group or one that you collect.

What do you collect so a comparison can be made?

Of course I do not see anything bad in split a group where is the same 12 pairs of socks etc.... it is out of discussion for me.

What do I collect? Navy/USMC aviation stuff from WW2 - 

Regards,

Jerry

I try to collect Navy and USMC aviation related items from WW2 in my specific own way. Have some groupings in my collection but only because they contain some specific items which I wanted to have.  

Okay I don't start another thunder storm. Everyone have his own point of view. Everyone have to pay a bills etc. Everyone can make whatever he want... That is a great grouping, I hope most of the items will go to the one person. 

Cheers,

Jerry

Could we individually analyze this from a bird's eye view even if it mus doubt our earlier opinions? Doubtful.

What if something isn't a positive thing to do even if the end result brings more money from the endeavor? Are we able to separate these things?

• 2 weeks later...

The items in total brought a hefty sum of 4k +. Minus fees, and taxes if claimed, the seller netted about 3.2k. I could not find much info on Lt. Minney on the web. Maybe someone here has more info on him? I know there is a 530th FS unit history published during the war, but is scarce "as hens teeth".