168th Regt. 34th Div. Dog tags

Sweazy21

I acquired these about a month ago, and thought I would share here.

b771df19ca1b6f96ec23c83740bedb2a.jpg

Raymond Van Dusseldrop was born May 31, 1911 in Prairie city Iowa. He served during World War II as a member of the anti-tank company, 168th infantry Regiment, 34th division. Raymond also had three brothers who also served during the war. Keith, Leon and Ivan. Keith joined the army in October 1941 and Leon a few months later in January 42. Ivan joined the Navy in December 1940.

Raymond joined the US Army on May 9, 1941 and left the US on February 19th 1942. After leaving the US, his unit arrived in Scotland for training. In November, they departed for north Africa and was part of the eastern attack force landing in Algiers during operation torch. On February 17, 1943, Raymond was reported missing in action during fighting at Kasserine pass. Couple months later, he was reported as being a prisoner of war in Italy. Currently unaware of when he was released or possibly escaped. He returned home on June 14, 1944 and was honorably discharged in November.

Raymond passed away February 2, 2003 and is buried in Mitchellville Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he was captured and later released, then discharged in November 1944, I would suspect he was likely fairly severely wounded and the Germans "exchanged" him, and sent him home, knowing he would never fight again and they didn't / wouldn't have to deal with his wounds.

Just my speculation though.

If he was captured and later released, then discharged in November 1944, I would suspect he was likely fairly severely wounded and the Germans "exchanged" him, and sent him home, knowing he would never fight again and they didn't / wouldn't have to deal with his wounds.

Just my speculation though.

You could be right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk