H.C. Homrighous of Memphis, TN: examples and patterns

Its been a little while since I posted but I thought variations of Homrighous badges would be an interesting topic.  Since they are hand made, every Homrighous badge will be somewhat unique.  That said, comparisons reveal a number of major variations.

Although no Homrighous badge can be considered in any way "common" type-A seems to be the variety most frequently encountered.  This type seems to be characterized by two rows of roughly spear- or leaf-shaped pointed feathers, with highly detailed rachis and vanes, a textured shoulder area, and a beveled edge around the perimeter of the shield.  Contrastingly, a second type, type-B has three rows of "V-shaped" feathers with cross-hatching to express detail and a shield with a reeded edge:

Homrighous.jpg.a4067c248e028e232535f86201f5ac3b.jpg

Similar to the type-A RMA badge above, this Second-type Observer badge has spear shaped feathering with detailed rachis and vanes.  Uniquely, this Observer badge has a distinct zig-zag border between the shoulder area and the feathers, absent on observed RMA badges:

Homrighous2.jpg.3a4f13c1a955ee32eb0551d8b1ed217a.jpg

Side by side comparisons of Homrighous badges reveal many subtle but noteworthy variations.   Both beveled and flat US.  Differently shaped (and sized!) backing plates.  A number of subtly different shield shapes.  Various configurations of wings and shield (some with upswept wing tips, others more horizontal). Finally, observed Homrighous wing badges range in size from just over three inches to well over four:

Homrighous3.jpg.062be3060ce95c3943ead421650d95b1.jpg

There is an interesting trophy cup at the National Museum of the US Air Force that was awarded to Maj H J Schroeder for his September 13, 1918 world altitude record of 28,900 feet.  The trophy cup has a type-B Homrighous badge soldered to its face.  Finally, there is at least one more feathering variation.  The badge at the bottom shows signs it started life as a three-piece construction similar to most Homrighous badges.  As some point it was modified into a unified badge by silver soldering the wings directly to the sides of the shield.  This badge has cross-hatched feathering like type-B but the feathers are more diagonal.  Additionally, there is no "hump" on the shoulder.  This badge is just different enough from type-A and type-B that I would consider it to be a third, type-C.

Homrighous4.jpg.503e426466d6c7e5823486d65ec150c7.jpg

As always, happy to hear your thoughts and I always enjoy seeing your examples of H. C. Homrighous' handsome wing badge!  Any more variations out there?

Chris

Some photos from the internet.  Fair use under 17 U.S. Code § 107 is claimed for educational purposes.

I forgot to add when I wrote the post above, I have only encountered Homrighous made RMA and 2nd-type Observer badges.  It would not surprise me to encounter a 1st-type Observer with shield - but if any exist, I haven't yet seen one.  Have any of you?

Chris

Finally, here is a collage of Homrighous badge backs.  You can see the common construction techniques but there is little consistency with respect to findings, or whether or not the badges are hallmarked.  Note the evidence on the bottom badge of former U-shaped silver wire, three-piece construction.

Homrighous5.jpg.874f76f15a6f09408f6b512e5028c539.jpg

Some photos from the internet.  Fair use under 17 U.S. Code § 107 is claimed for educational purposes.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, cwnorma said:

Its been a little while since I posted but I thought variations of Homrighous badges would be an interesting topic.  Since they are hand made, every Homrighous badge will be somewhat unique.  That said, comparisons reveal a number of major variations.

Although no Homrighous badge can be considered in any way "common" type-A seems to be the variety most frequently encountered.  This type seems to be characterized by two rows of roughly spear- or leaf-shaped pointed feathers, with highly detailed rachis and vanes, a textured shoulder area, and a beveled edge around the perimeter of the shield.  Contrastingly, a second type, type-B has three rows of "V-shaped" feathers with cross-hatching to express detail and a shield with a reeded edge:

Similar to the type-A RMA badge above, this Second-type Observer badge has spear shaped feathering with detailed rachis and vanes.  Uniquely, this Observer badge has a distinct zig-zag border between the shoulder area and the feathers, absent on observed RMA badges:

Side by side comparisons of Homrighous badges reveal many subtle but noteworthy variations.   Both beveled and flat US.  Differently shaped (and sized!) backing plates.  A number of subtly different shield shapes.  Various configurations of wings and shield (some with upswept wing tips, others more horizontal). Finally, observed Homrighous wing badges range in size from just over three inches to well over four:

There is an interesting trophy cup at the National Museum of the US Air Force that was awarded to Maj H J Schroeder for his September 13, 1918 world altitude record of 28,900 feet.  The trophy cup has a type-B Homrighous badge soldered to its face.  Finally, there is at least one more feathering variation.  The badge at the bottom shows signs it started life as a three-piece construction similar to most Homrighous badges.  As some point it was modified into a unified badge by silver soldering the wings directly to the sides of the shield.  This badge has cross-hatched feathering like type-B but the feathers are more diagonal.  Additionally, there is no "hump" on the shoulder.  This badge is just different enough from type-A and type-B that I would consider it to be a third, type-C.

As always, happy to hear your thoughts and I always enjoy seeing your examples of H. C. Homrighous' handsome wing badge!  Any more variations out there?

Chris

Holy crap-

That is a very detailed and thorough explanation, Chris. Thanks!

So it sounds like even though the wings were handmade, that there were three distinct patterns of these wings? Is this related to time of production (early vs later war)? Were all made in the same shop in TN, or were some "subcontracted" to account for the different types?

Just when I thought I had a complete collection, looks like i need to keep my eyes open for two other examples!

1 hour ago, blind pew said:

Holy crap-

That is a very detailed and thorough explanation, Chris. Thanks!

So it sounds like even though the wings were handmade, that there were three distinct patterns of these wings? Is this related to time of production (early vs later war)? Were all made in the same shop in TN, or were some "subcontracted" to account for the different types?

Just when I thought I had a complete collection, looks like i need to keep my eyes open for two other examples!

These are tough questions for which I don't have complete answers!

In fact, I only have a partial answer on what I call the type-B badge.  The trophy in the USAF Museum in Dayton is dated 30 September 1918.  What is a bit mysterious about the trophy is how it came to be.  Maj Rudolph "Shorty" Schroeder made his record breaking flight at McCook Field in Dayton Ohio.  The cup was probably commissioned shortly after his successful record breaking attempt.   So how did a badge from a Tennessee Jeweler come to be affixed to a cup awarded in Dayton?

SCHROEDER-Rudolph-William-Major-USAAC.jpg.4393f9b9aa59ac6d90377840baaafcfb.jpg

Major Rudolph W. "Shorty" Scroeder, high altitude record holder.  Note, Maj Schroeder wears a BB&B-type "Dallas" wing.

schroeder-major-rudolph-w.jpg.5262ff7afeb68739f1c7ddff1485b808.jpg

Shorty standing next to his buddy Rick.  Note the Military Aviator badge on the man at the far right (I'll bet Cliff can recognize him).

There are perhaps dozens of portrait photos of WW1 era aviators wearing Homrighous badges.  This type of badge was evidently popular.  It was certainly large and flashy - making it an appealing option for the young pilots.  Quite a few Homrighous badges can be discerned in the year book "Ellington."  Those photos were probably taken after the war ended, the realization hit that the young men were never going to make it "Over There," and would soon be going home.

Long story short, I honestly don't know if the changes represent a progression over time or if they were merely variations sold by Homrighous - with the most common type being the most popular.

Finally, my research indicates Henry Clay Homrighous was more of a business man/investor than a jeweler.  His family business in Mattoon Illinois was jewelry, and evidently the source of his original fortune, but Homrighous also had business interests in automobiles, real estate, and other manufacturing. According to the 1918 Memphis directory, Homrighous Jewelry Manufacturing Company had a dozen employees.  So while all the badges were likely made in the same factory, any number of different craftsmen could have carved the intricate designs.

I found this photo from the USAF Museum showing Schroeder's uniform and the trophy cup with the type-B Homrighous badge:

1345844620_050728-F-1234P-0112.jpg.a779b11f054c761e652d302cf948f442.jpg

Amazing discussion as always, Chris.  Thanks so much for posting it.  Here's a unique version I have in my collection.  It doesn't seem to fit exactly with any of the patterns you've shown but, as you mentioned, there does seem to be some variation as they were hand made.  Hope this adds to the discussion.  

Thanks,

Bob

wingfrt.jpg

wingbck.jpg

Bob,

I love this badge!  From the rear it looks like any other Homrighous type-A badge.  It exhibits the same shapes, construction techniques, etc.

All the magic is on the front!

The shield fits in with the other type-As, but those wings are amazing!  They have the same general configuration but each feather is more deeply carved (instead of cut like the others), but still retains the fine fletching in the vanes like the type-A badges.  Each feather also has additional bright cut "rays" emanating outward from its base.  Additionally, the crescent shaped cuts on the shoulders of most type-A badges are more "aligned" to suggest rows of small feathers but on this one they are distributed in a way more suggestive of down.  

This one would have really sparkled and must have been a stunner when polished bright!  Which I think was the point for some of these Aviators.

This badge does share design elements with the other type-A badges but it is different enough that I think if categorized would have to be type-A, variant 1.

Cheers!

Chris

All,

Years ago I had a photograph from an auction site of a type-C badge in its original three-piece configuration - but lost it in a hard-drive crash.  Does anyone here on the forum own that badge?  I would love to have a photo of it for reference sake.

Best wishes

Chris

On 2/13/2021 at 7:41 PM, cwnorma said:

Chris

Sorry  I  am  not  on  here  more  often  but  here is  my   one  and  only   example

IMG_6862.JPG

IMG_6861.JPG

@truckbob

What a fascinating badge!  I almost looks as though it is a prototype Homrighous.  You can see definite overlap in some design cues... Some elements like the cross hatching are evident in the type-B and type-C badges... I honestly have to say I have never seen anything quite like it.

Thank you for sharing!

Chris

A 3.75 inches wide, "type-A" style Homrighous made with crisp hallmark.

Thank you Chris for all of your photographic efforts and shared thoughts!

Homrighous.jpg

Homrighous C2.jpg

Russ,

What a beautiful wing!  Thank you for sharing it!  I especially love that immense catch and its spade-shaped thumb piece.  Unique to a few Homrighous badges?

I have also noticed that a some Homrighous badges are subtly, but noticeably, more precisely executed.  Your example, and a few of the others above stand out for their higher level of execution.  It makes one wonder.  Are the differences explainable due to the hand of different craftsmen?  Do the finer badges represent later, refinements in production?  Or, did they get sloppier over time as demand for the badges increased and Homrighous turned them out more quickly?  We'll probably never know.

I know some don't think Homrighous badges are handsome - but I love them!  Even though there are a few variations, each one is unique due to its hand-crafted nature.  

Chris

Thank you Chris.  Besides Homrighous and some Eisenstadt-made wings, does anyone know of similarly designed WWI era Pilot badges using those "U" shaped pieces of thick wire to attach the wings to the center shield?  I think those "U" shaped connectors helped to create a most unique and desirable look... although they may have been more susceptible to damage?    

Homrighous & Eisenstadt B3.jpg

I was looking at wing photos on my hard drive...   Wait.   What!?!   Isn't that you guys do on Friday nights?    Well anyway, I found these photos from an internet auction I forgot I had saved.  Apparently, Homrighous also made at least one sweetheart badge in 14k gold:

HomrighousSweetheart.jpg.00f083741a8c9c9b6e34376121e115d2.jpg

The wings appear to conform mostly to the type-B variety.  Really a handsome piece with the diamonds and enamel work!

Wow, that's an impressive piece!  Constructed with 14K gold and mounted diamonds, it's really the Coupe de Ville of aviator sweetheart pieces!  

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2021 at 1:19 PM, cwnorma said:

Years ago I had a photograph from an auction site of a type-C badge in its original three-piece configuration - but lost it in a hard-drive crash.  Does anyone here on the forum own that badge?  I would love to have a photo of it for reference sake.

The badge referenced above (or another identical) surfaced in the Putnam Green collection auction in August 2022:

213032155_ScreenShot2022-07-17at3_26_30PM.png.83f1167b4ad082c6cc4c98f64d073fad.png

Homrighous "Type-C" retaining its 3-piece configuration.

The auction also presented fine examples of Type A:

1479750377_ScreenShot2022-07-17at3_27_54PM.png.52517473d90e78bc7816894a19a9cc29.png

...and type B:

1752578703_ScreenShot2022-07-17at3_29_09PM.png.c2637a61d0f61a4d3ec45c180918b6f9.png

Cheers!

Chris

This thread is probably a great place to discuss the wonderful badge below.

This handsome badge (now in Cliff Pressley's collection), should likely be considered a "Type-D" Homrighous badge.  Although it is unmarked as to maker, its construction techniques and engraving style are exceedingly similar and to consistent with that firm's other variants.  So far, to my knowledge, this is the sole example (SEP 2022) that has come to light of this configuration:

72402674_Homrighousvarobv2.jpg.2b2d6643d09d2b46f776dbb0f4717d8e.jpg

Homrighous (Type D) obverse (?)

869643122_Homrighousvarrev3.jpg.f610c11e4c185980b282b6c31d3ce64e.jpg

Reverse

Although not plainly evident in these auction photos, the photos of Cliff's badge on Bob's website show decorative "coining" on the reverse not seen on other Homrighous badges.  Extra finishing on the reverse of badges is rarely seen.  Could the extra decorative flourish be indicative this badge was a bespoke piece?

As always, interested in your thoughts!

Chris

On 2/19/2021 at 1:12 PM, rustywings said:

Thank you Chris.  Besides Homrighous and some Eisenstadt-made wings, does anyone know of similarly designed WWI era Pilot badges using those "U" shaped pieces of thick wire to attach the wings to the center shield?  I think those "U" shaped connectors helped to create a most unique and desirable look... although they may have been more susceptible to damage?    

Russ,

Somehow I missed this question when this thread was still active.  Sorry about that!  The only other badge I know of that occasionally shows up with these U-shaped reinforcements is this one:

2OCT21-1.jpeg.41f1cc221ab1d51529ccd761e9d25fe3.jpeg

2OCT21-2.jpeg.e95cf1bb590ad51be724797a5cc40780.jpeg

The "no back plate" version of the so-called "Large Shield Dallas" wing is occasionally encountered with U-shaped stiffening wires and variously with flat, ovoid pieces of sterling silver stock performing the same mechanical function.

The square shield Eisenstadt, the various Homrihgous patterns, and this version of the Large Shield Dallas are the only badges I have encountered that use this U-shaped wire construction technique.

Warm regards!

Chris

Thank you very much Chris. I appreciate your follow-up efforts!  

Beautiful examples and fact-filled narrative! Thank you my friend...

I picked up Lot 1466 from the Rock Island Auction Company. As per the description: “Provenance: The Putnam Green/Sycamore Collection” I want to share images of these wings as time permits for the community.

Here is the H.C. Homrighous wing from that collection:

Weight: 12 g

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3309.JPG

IMG_3310.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

• 4 months later...