506 PIR D-Day KIA Thoughts on Purple Heart Engraving

Trevor Arendall

Trevor Arendall

Hello all,

I was looking around on eBay and found this Purple Heart. The engraving looks funny to me for some reason and I cannot figure out why. I would love to hear what others think about the engraving!

Thanks! 

PH.PNG

USMC is a maybe ? seems engraving is very current to me on it ? taken from known examples i think engraving is a bit small ?

only way to buy one of these top dollar ones is to buy off someone you know and trust ! IMO if real it would be more than BIN price ?

i am  on the fence ? with USMC?

ErwinRommel1940
3 hours ago, CNY Militaria said:

Consensus on other groups is that this is a modern fake by a really good engraver. 

I thought I saw a post about this somewhere else. Can you post a link? 

1 hour ago, ErwinRommel1940 said:

I thought I saw a post about this somewhere else. Can you post a link? 

There's a long post about this over on the facebook USMF. 

In short, stay away from anything being sold by saal928679 or archiesstuff on eBay, Nuts44 on here, or anyone by the name of Brian, Bri, Brianne, Briann Reynolds (all fronts for Mark Patterson). 

hirales bad purple heart ebay 2.jpg

more fakes from sparky.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

5 minutes ago, ErwinRommel1940 said:

Ah ha! Found it, thanks Dave. 

No worries!

People who all claim to have the same address in Phoenix, and who are known to send militaria from that address include:

Briann K. Reynolds (Nuts44 on here, now banned)

Mark Stuart Patterson (Sparky, and others on here, all banned)

Briann Lippold

Brian Lippold

Sara Allen

Screenshot_5.jpg

Screenshot_6.jpg

Hopefully whoever bought that fake USMC one is a member and will see this post and use PayPal to get their money back.  What a POS this guy is peddling this fake BS.  Special place in hell for someone like him.

Trevor Arendall
7 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

So, just so I'm clear.....the majority of opinions here is that the USMC PH is fake?

Yes, I believe it to be fake

ErwinRommel1940
3 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

And what, if I may ask, leads you to this comclusion? The engraving, at least in the photo, looks spot on.

Over on FB, it was noted that this solider was USMCR, so whoever faked the medal left out a critical detail. Hence, fake engraving.

Trevor Arendall
7 minutes ago, ErwinRommel1940 said:

Over on FB, it was noted that this solider was USMCR, so whoever faked the medal left out a critical detail. Hence, fake engraving.

Just what I was about to say!

In my limited experience, engravers have made mistakes on medals which have been deemed authentic and verified, and sometimes part of groupings directly from the vets themselves.

My questioning of the engraving is partially rhetorical. I have found that very few hands have been skilled enough to engrave with such a high level of skill. To "throw the baby out with the bathwater" based on the fact it was sold by someone apparently known for creating fakes, would seem to supercede our collective knowledge on what we deem as authentic or not. I would offer that if one were to have shared this medal as a "fresh outta the woodwork" PH, the ommission of the "R" on the engraving would be chalked up to an "engraver's oversight". I am not trying to create an argument, but rather suggesting that we look at what it is, rather than where it came from. I personally, have done my best to always "buy the item, not the story", and in this particular case, this engraving looks exceptional, and if indeed there is a modern skilled hand creating such a well crafted fake, we are in a precarious position and will be at the mercy of ones who are in an authoritive position to say "yea or nay"

CNY Militaria
8 hours ago, Matt-M said:

In my limited experience, engravers have made mistakes on medals which have been deemed authentic and verified, and sometimes part of groupings directly from the vets themselves.

My questioning of the engraving is partially rhetorical. I have found that very few hands have been skilled enough to engrave with such a high level of skill. To "throw the baby out with the bathwater" based on the fact it was sold by someone apparently known for creating fakes, would seem to supercede our collective knowledge on what we deem as authentic or not. I would offer that if one were to have shared this medal as a "fresh outta the woodwork" PH, the ommission of the "R" on the engraving would be chalked up to an "engraver's oversight". I am not trying to create an argument, but rather suggesting that we look at what it is, rather than where it came from. I personally, have done my best to always "buy the item, not the story", and in this particular case, this engraving looks exceptional, and if indeed there is a modern skilled hand creating such a well crafted fake, we are in a precarious position and will be at the mercy of ones who are in an authoritive position to say "yea or nay"

I can't speak to the engraving, but part of the problem is that so many rare, high end, desirable groups keep coming out of a never ending "storage locker buy" from the same seller with nefarious history, and none have any original documents or ANY provenance. One group in particular was debunked as the family has ALL of the vet's medals and effects and affirmed that a duplicate set was never issued as he had only one NOK.

4 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

Then we are in a frightening position as collectors. The hand that engraved this medal is very skilled.

Yes very scary  he is getting better ! 
As I said you have to buy off trusted people who you trust ! Good thing most of these fakers are greedy and list ton of high end engraved medals !  We have to police ourselves thank god for this forum ! Banning Won’t stop them but maybe educate the collector to beware of who they buy off of and do the research !