WWI 16 Inch bayonet scabbard question

Moonlight Gecko

Moonlight Gecko

Can someone please help with the scabbard on the left?  It looks like the Springfield1905 16 inch bayonet scabbard but it is longer. Is it for another bayonet? The scabbard on the right is for comparison. 

thumbnail_IMG_0448.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0449.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0450.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0452.jpg

Nope Nope Nope..... Never seen one like it.   Is the scabbard body fully inserted into the metal throat?  Do you have the canvas covers for each of them?  If it is not a foreign copy, maybe it's one of the several USMC versions that show up on occasion. Some were made in the Philippines, but I have never seen one that is "too long".   I have no other explanation unless it was for the US M1917, and I'm just throwing things out there.   A foreign copy is really the only idea I would settle on,  It just doesn't  make sense.   Looking forward to some real answers.

Marv

No clue! Only observation is that the rawhide cover does not appear as well done as the other issued scabbard bodies I have seen. Could be some type of unit, or local repair job, note the difference in stitching. Other than that, I'm at a loss too.

I’ve not seen one stitched like that and not finished on the bottom. However, what I question the most is the age of the leather. It looks fairly new. 

4 hours ago, ccyooper said:

I’ve not seen one stitched like that and not finished on the bottom. However, what I question the most is the age of the leather. It looks fairly new. 

I agree, plus the rivets attaching it to the throat piece look very new.

22 hours ago, Moonlight Gecko said:

Because of the extra length, the metal throat is still exposed when the scabbard is placed in the cloth cover

Thanks.  I have not seen a scabbard body made like this either.