1918 Rare Gas mask - Experimental

SI Gordon

Ok Folks I've had this in the collection for 20 years. It is, I believe the a WW1 period Cornell GasMask. This mask never passed the experimental stages according to America's Munition's 1917-1918 . Sorry for the bad pic need a new digtal camera. The filter was supposed to go behind the neck of the wearer. It looks to be way more uncomfortable than the standard SBR masks. Lets see some WWI period gasmasks and Trench art bags. Anyone have a nice Akron or KOPS Tissot gasmask? post-535-1173926010.jpg

New Romantic

Ahhh, one of my favorite topics in US WWI militaria, by the way nice example of a rare mask SI gordon. Here are a few of my masks. More masks and info can be found on my WWI Doughboys site, http://aef-doughboys.com

First up is one two of my British SBRs. I found this one on eBay last summer for $34- really bad photo but I could tell what it was!

post-599-1173940370.jpg

New Romantic

This was my first US mask bought back in March 2000 when I began collecting US WWI militaria. It's a common variation of the Corrected English Mask (CEM) with yellow filter.

post-599-1173940785.jpg

New Romantic

This is one of three Richardson-Flory-Kops masks I have. The mask is distinguished by the two harness straps at the forehead and the slightly wider face piece.

post-599-1173941131.jpg

New Romantic

I did have an Akron-Tissot mask I won off eBay in 2001 for $25. The mask was hard as a rock but the hose has still soft although collasped. Unfortunately I traded it to a friend not knowing what it was. All I kept was the bag and instruction card. The card itself is slighty different from the cards that came with the CEM.

First up is one two of my British SBRs. I found this one on eBay last summer for $34- really bad photo but I could tell what it was!

Very Nice British SBR w00t.gif , Thats one type of mask I don't have !! Spend my dough on German and French Gas masks. Heres one on my Trench Arted bags

post-535-1173955757.jpgFirst up is one two of my British SBRs. I found this one on eBay last summer for $34- really bad photo but I could tell what it was!

Very Nice British SBR w00t.gif , Thats one type of mask I don't have !! Spend my dough on German and French Gas masks. Heres one on my Trench Arted bags,

• 11 years later...

Here are both the Akron-Tissot, Model of 1918 Masks currently in my collection. The example on the left is a Type 'A' facepiece, made of formed and chin-welded sheet rubber with a 5-point harness (sadly broken off, but present) while the example on the right is a Type 'B' facepiece which is a solidly dip-molded rubber with a 6-point harness. This example was reconfigured for industrial useage postwar by the American LaFrance Fire Engine Company, after they had removed the internal chin rest, stripped the paint from the angletube, placed a rubber band over the end of the hose, and supplied the kit with their own-produced carry case and filter for ammonia gasses.

The LaFrance Type B A.T. is only temporarily in my collection for study and preservation purposes (mainly removing rust from the flutter guard and screws and preventing further rust from forming). You can see from the stampings on the chin where I get the designations Type 'A' and 'B'.

post-207727-0-18291100-1545979787_thumb.jpg
post-207727-0-10551300-1545980179_thumb.jpg

I also own this nice Richardson-Flory-Kops, Model of 1918 Gas Mask which was once owned by the respectable Chris T. Carey, as it is the same specimen as example no.1 that appears in his book, 'Chemical and Biological Defense Respirators: an Illustrated History". Hose and rubber inside the facepiece is perfectly intact and flexible. Sadly the filter and carrier are not original to the mask.

post-207727-0-74628300-1547951240_thumb.jpg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.