Searching for information on found ww2 dog tags

Ernst

A few years ago i found a lot of dog tags on a ww2 battlefield in Belgium. 
On most of them i could find the information i wanted. A few didn,t came up with the information i was looking for. 
So, i,m hoping you guys can help me out. 

Name: William M. Ervin ASN: 36992712

Name: Harold Andersen Jr. ASN: O-1057666

Name: Edward S. Mirowski ASN: 32841120

Name: R. G. Young ASN: 38383700

Name: Orville Wright ASN: 31326046

Name: George W. Markland ASN: 7082113

Name: Watson J. Felder ASN: 34842262

Name: Joseph L. Lopez ASN: 39009773

Name: Marvin R. Burns ASN: 33376425

Name: Dean Jones ASN: 36683267

These are the first 10 of about 50 dog tags i found where i would like to get more information about. I tried searching the internet but with disappointing results. Hope you guys can do better. 

Hello Ernst,

While I appreciate your interest and desire to find out more information on the soldiers who you've found dog tags, I feel it's asking a lot for someone to do all the research for you on all these dog tags.  It takes quite a bit of time to do in-depth research on each, and according to you this is just the first ten of 50 dog tags.  If I may make a helpful suggestion to you, I would take a look at this post about free research resources and see if you're able to come up with some information on your own first.  Thank you and good luck!

All FREE Websites to Research Named or Numbered Item/s

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/309282-all-free-websites-to-research-named-or-numbered-items/

Thanks for your reply. 
I did a lot of research already. I found hundreds of dog tags in a burnpit in2012. All from US servicemen who where killed in action. After years of research i,m left with about 50. So i,m trying my best and i,m still hoping members from this forum can help me completing “the list”

• 7 months later...

Here's what I found on Edward S. Mirowski.

What's strange is that he's listed in "Find a Grave" but his death date and burial location are listed as unknown.

I couldn't find anything listed in newspapers from that time period.

John

Mirowski3.JPG

Mirowski4.JPG

Mirowski2.JPG

Mirowski1.JPG

Here's info on Marvin R Burns.

I was surprised that he was not listed in the "United States World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946' records.

John

Burns 1.JPG

Burns 2.JPG

Burns 3.jpg

Here's info on William M Ervin.

It states on "Find a Grave" that he was ..."Killed In Action with Patton's Third Army of the Ninth Armored Division".

John

Ervin 1.jpg

Ervin 2.JPG

Ervin 3.jpg

Ervin 4.jpg

Ervin 5.jpg

Ervin 6.png

Here's info on Orville C Wright.

This one took quite a while since there are dozens of Orville Wrights who served in WWII. It appears he died during the Battle of the Bulge.

John

Wright 1.JPG

Wright 2.JPG

Wright 3.JPG

Wright 4.jpg

Wright 5.jpg

Wright 6.JPG

Here's what I found on Dean W Jones.

According to "Find a Grave website it states..."T/5 Jones was a member of Company A, 311th Infantry, 78th Division when killed in action at the Remagen Bridge crossing of the Rhine River".

John

Jones 1.jpg

Jones 2.JPG

Jones 3.jpg

Here's what I found on R.G. Young.

I found it quite bizarre that his military documents and even his headstone only list his initials of R.G. I could not find any documentation as to his his actual first and middle name.

John

Young 2.JPG

Young 3.JPG

Young 6.jpg

Young 4.JPG

Young 5.jpg

He may have had initials only as his name. Our Great-Grampa (Mom's Grampa who she knew very well!) was H C Chaffin. No name. His Grampa was Harvey C. Chaffin, and he was named for him . . . but just the initials that he was known by. No names. Just initials. So, odd - yes. But not unheard of! 

5 hours ago, stratasfan said:

He may have had initials only as his name. Our Great-Grampa (Mom's Grampa who she knew very well!) was H C Chaffin. No name. His Grampa was Harvey C. Chaffin, and he was named for him . . . but just the initials that he was known by. No names. Just initials. So, odd - yes. But not unheard of! 

Thanks for the info. I've never seen anything like that before with Army records. Guess I learned something new! LOL   :)

4 hours ago, ROCKET said:

Thanks for the info. I've never seen anything like that before with Army records. Guess I learned something new! LOL   :)

Well . . . I'd say it definitely isn't common! But, it can happen! :) 

I have a Navy Good Conduct Medal named to a sailor with initials only.   "J" "J" on Navy Muster Rolls and J. J. on his grave stone.

Years ago, I worked with a man that was given initials only at birth.    

W

28 minutes ago, Wharfmaster said:

I have a Navy Good Conduct Medal named to a sailor with initials only.   "J" "J" on Navy Muster Rolls and J. J. on his grave stone.

Years ago, I worked with a man that was given initials only at birth.    

W

Correction, it's J J on his grave stone.

W

• 4 weeks later...