Unknown Armor / Cav BDU Badge - Qualification?

MPage

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, MPage said:

It's on the BDU of a colonel in the armor branch.

Where is it sewn on the coat, and is there a unit shoulder patch the coat?

8 hours ago, patches said:

Where is it sewn on the coat, and is there a unit shoulder patch the coat?

It's on the right breast, above the name tape. 

bdu cav 2.jpg

Well then I'm thinking it might now be some kind of Foreign tank badge right. Seems its a Horse Shoe right. If it was a U.S. Tank Qualification Unit Award, these are worn as pocket patches.

In an effort to try to nail this one down, what are the dates in these coats?

24 minutes ago, patches said:

Well then I'm thinking it might now be some kind of Foreign tank badge right. Seems its a Horse Shoe right. If it was a U.S. Tank Qualification Unit Award, these are worn as pocket patches.

In an effort to try to nail this one down, what are the dates in these coats?

I don't own these coats but the one on the left is from the early to mid-80s because the black has faded to purple-grey (a telltale sign) and it appears to have the early "Elvis" collar, so I'm guessing it dates to about the mid-80s.

3 hours ago, MPage said:

I don't own these coats but the one on the left is from the early to mid-80s because the black has faded to purple-grey (a telltale sign) and it appears to have the early "Elvis" collar, so I'm guessing it dates to about the mid-80s.

Yes that would be my guess to, the collars look like the first early large  type.

So as a full colonel in say 1983  or so brings this badge back into the 60s or 70s, so if the guess is right, and it is a foreign tank badge of some kind, then it will be one for those years, lets check around the both of us, maybe we might get lucky