Odd M3 Bayonet

ccyooper

I know odd title but I was going through some of old boxes of stuff and forgot I had this one. It appears to be post war built from leftover bayonet and M3 knife parts. The maker has been ground off but I suspect Imperial by the characteristics. Note M3 pommel and bayonet guard, sort of a Frankenstein knife. I believe I bought 3 of them on eBay several years ago. Must have traded or sold the others. 

5124AFAA-4831-48B2-8746-3B9EFA5F0E09.jpeg

EED846BE-B914-4C0B-80EE-120FFAE22ED0.jpeg

Interesting. I have 2 similar oddball Kutmaster parts knives. They both have M4 bayonet pommels. The guards have the bayonet ring removed and the M4 markings ground off. One has a grooved handle and one has a smooth handle. I got them both back in 2005. 

20D-5,6-Kutmaster-crop=e.jpg

20D-5,6b-crop=e.jpg

20D-5,6d-crop=e.jpg

ccyooper-Agree, more than likely Imperial from left over parts from their M3 & M4 production. I also have one. They are really cool oddities.  SKIP

MikeDon,

I have one of those too, but I believe it has a flat butt with a swivel but cut guard too. You can see it on the picture I found on my phone. It’s in the upper left. 

E37F9419-BF77-4604-91B8-F74ADCBD4F9A.jpeg

Frank Trzaska had one of the Imperial M3/4 knives on his web site for sale a little while ago, don't think it's still up but he explained it as a post-war Imperial made up of WW2 parts.  I have one of these with that sheath, and from looking at several over the past year on Ebay, I'm of the opinion that is the sheath that was originally matched with these when they were sold.  As Skip said, an interesting oddity, and if you begin collecting post-war knives made from WW2 knife parts you'll find that there are a fair number of knives by different makers.

That is odd, without the rear locking plate the muzzle ring is pretty useless.

It makes sense that when the government canceled the M3 contracts, their would be manufacturers that had excess parts laying around. Might as well use them to create and sell a product. 

I'm surprised Imperial did not cut off the muzzle ring like Utica did with their left overs. They may have. We probably have not seen all of Imperial's variations made from left over contract parts.  SKIP