Mills 36M

DaBomb

I'm not sure on authenticity, but a couple have recently sold on Gunbroker. One had 10 bids, the other had one bid. Selling price on each was $350. I think these are more available in Europe but you don't seem to see many of them here in the US, and there's not many coming from Europe with the restrictions.  I've been wanting to pick one up for a couple years now and just haven't been willing to pay the prices being asked.

Browninggunner688

It's real, correct markings and paint on it. These are fairly common in England but the prices are going up, around anywhere from £100 to £300+, depending if it has the correct internals, original lever, pin and original painted markings, the threaded holeon the base is for the gas check plate to enable it to be launched as a rifle grenade, it is a large metal disc that screws on, I have one like the pictured one with the gas check plate fitted.

Can see this being thread being locked though as it's not U.S. militaria.

Hope you this helps.

Nick.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up saying what the heck I need one more it, "this collection controls" me LOL.

Sorry about posting a non US item. But US troops did use them I'm sure.

After research when I got home (which was difficult to do on a phone), its all correct and the parts are all the same maker. This brownish finish threw me off.

Turns out as you say (Browninggunner) it is the correct outer paint/sealer. Now I need a gas check plate. Thanks again and enjoy the pics!

General Apathy
50 minutes ago, DaBomb said:

Turns out as you say (Browninggunner) it is the correct outer paint/sealer. Now I need a gas check plate. Thanks again and enjoy the pics!

Hi DaBomb,  

nothing to worry about on the colour / finish of the grenade, here's one my mothers elder sister made towards the end of WWII and brought home to remind her of what she did during WWII. The colour / finish of yours is virtually identical to this one which came from the ' REVO ' Company where she worked.  This one has been in the family and remains unchanged and unpainted since the day it was made in 1944. 

regards lewis.

.fullsizeoutput_8fc8.jpeg.5a185f4812b21c9c2db24e3cf45d7009.jpeg

Nice Mills bomb. I have a WW1 put together and one like yours. Both mine came from a large ordnance collectors collection. He stated the WW2 ones were lacquered to water proof them. I paid $500 for both a few years ago as they are hard to find here in the states. Yours is in excellent condition, and no more are entering the US unless it goes undetected, piece by separate piece. US Customs will confiscate them in common mail, ask me how I know. US Customs has had for a few years restrictions on all “ instruments of war”,( instated during Nobamas time) special forms and approvals are required- I had to go through Kuhn and Nagel to handle customs clearance, paperwork..not worth the added fees except for big ticket items.

2 hours ago, DaBomb said:

Thanks for the replies. I ended up saying what the heck I need one more it, "this collection controls" me LOL.

Sorry about posting a non US item. But US troops did use them I'm sure.

After research when I got home (which was difficult to do on a phone), its all correct and the parts are all the same maker. This brownish finish threw me off.

I buy all I can find ( none seen in years). They are very heavy compared to the US MK II’s. My understanding is they were valued by US GI’s as they were much, much more lethal.

Good find. Now, do NOT try to unscrew the filler plug, plug at top. It will strip. You can see if the bottom large plug at th3 bottom unscrews, mine came off easy with channel locks and rag. The inner workings are amazing pieces of work and design.

It still has what I've learned is the sealant / waterproofing on the plug.

Big question is, what is the yellow painted letters or characters at the side of the pin?

A fantastic example of the No.36 grenade and impossible to upgrade. 

Regarding American usage of these grenades, I had a very good friend who fought with the 41st Division in the Pacific in WWII.  He absolutely loved the Mills bombs as they were quieter to use and had a better explosive burst than our MkII grenades.  Whenever possible, he would trade, beg, or borrow them when their unit was near Commonwealth troops.