POW camps "Then and Now"

siege1863

Here is a series that I intend to use in a history I am writing. They were taken at the WWII German POW camp located a few miles from where I live. They are of the "ceremonial" tree that was located inside of the POW compound. Using the original photo, I was able to locate the footings of the guard tower in the background and remove one of the uprights still buried in the ground. It is sitting in my closet.

post-211-1233064457.jpg

post-211-1233064507.jpg

Here is another view taken from further away. For this gathering, the prisones have hung their "ceremonial shield" (a rune) on the tree. Unfortunately, I do not know the event. Could have been a German holiday, announcement of the death of Hitler, etc.

post-211-1233064917.jpg

In April 1996, the tree blew down in a storm. A year later, I got to thinking about the tree and the shield. Using details from the photos, I was able to determine where the shield had hung. As I had hoped, the hanger was still there! After some careful cutting and chopping, I was able to remove it. It was fashioned from an old lag bolt.

post-211-1233065199.jpg

post-211-1233065237.jpg

post-211-1233065252.jpg

In April 1996, was the reunion of some two dozen of the former POWs. The day after the ceremonial tree blew down they visited the camp site. Here are a few of the men posed in front of the tree.

post-211-1233065814.jpg