General Benjamin F. Butler Signature

I first learned about Benjamin "Beast" or "Spoons" Butler many years ago, and he always fascinated me.  He's one of those real life people that if some writer had created as a fictional character, nobody would think he was believable.  

I bought a copy of his autobiography some 35 years ago.  It has a couple of reproduced signatures.   But this week I finally added an original signature to my collection.   It's on an 1886 legal document.  

In case you aren't familiar with old Ben, here is a wikipedia article that gives an idea of the man.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Butler

Mikie

Butler Set.jpg

Butler sig.jpg

Nice to know there are some other Beast Butler fans out there.   There some Civil War buffs I know who aren't familiar with him.  

Here is a wartime print of General Butler.  

Did you know that Butler was one of a relatively few Civil War generals to have guest starred on Monty Python?  

I can't find the clip online, but did find this really poor quality copy of the episode.  He shows up around the 16:46 mark.  Some funny bits in this ep, if you are into Python. 

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9IkztZyVgDa0As1BXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p="The+Butcher+Who+is+Alternately+Rude+and+Polite"&fr2=piv-web&fr=mcafee&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9zZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tL3NlYXJjaD9mcj1tY2FmZWUmdHlwZT1FMjExVVMxMDVHMCZwPSUyMlRoZStCdXRjaGVyK1dobytpcytBbHRlcm5hdGVseStSdWRlK2FuZCtQb2xpdGUlMjImX2d1Y19jb25zZW50X3NraXA9MTYxMzA2NDIwMw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAO36xRcBbS3gdJ1sgZq9bJNcJmr5L_G_fobaWJmnu5JkEh8GjP8DzxBy4ixCJY9Ly0j78tHB-D3paazMk7XMBrCaZ5Q14qMyxj5ZgnJcQXZvnntlLV_4RhLWRZgbHSAiQOyK11ZhdX5PKcm2mMTcDgoO2_HGjPc5GAPnrzQlmmv&_guc_consent_skip=1613076347#id=2&vid=3d24fa90b6d2b896011905c5d6d5f0a7&action=view

Mikie

Ben Butler portrait.jpg

Ben Butler Monty Python.jpg