Repairing damaged ribbon with tape

ocsfollowme

I searched through this category for "tape" and did not find anything. 

This ribbon just came a part. Over 100 years old. 

There is acid free tape https://www.preservationequipment.com/Blog/Blog-Posts/What-is-Acid-Free-Tape

Anyone have success using tape such as this? 

The problem is that it was stored in a riker mount. Upon removing it for sale to ship...the loose threads caught the extremely velcro like riker backing and grabbed it...helping to pull it a part. 

There are two horizontal threads that came off during it. 

IMG_7530.JPG

I have not done this, but fragile items like this or silk items of age are mounted with a backing sewn on to prevent damage do to age. Older flags have this done all the time. In as far as mending the damage...not worth the cost. Just stabilize it. The problem with any kind of tape, even acid free tape is the adhesive will bleed through over time. Not a good idea.

• 1 month later...
Airborne-Hunter

Tape is bad acid free or not. I'd put it in a stiff top loader or wedged between to pieces of plexi/glass. 

• 3 weeks later...
albatrosdva

I have tried to repair a similar ribbon with acid free document tape (archival quality) and it doesn't really stick to the ribbon. I think it is best to leave it where it will acquire no new damage. some material conservationists will sew a fragile piece of cloth to a neutral (as in acid or nothing else that may damage it) cloth made slightly smaller but I don't know about a ribbon since it has a tendency to come apart like this. I think it may do more damage than preservation. I think if it were mine I would try it. If the ribbon is important to you you may experiment with one that isn't to experiment. I would not sew it completely but sew a line on either edge to give it that vertical strength it needs. Use a fine needle and silk thread. Cotton thread will be thicker and cause more damage.