Ebay seller General Lee at it again

All,

stay away from this listing as I sold a US belt with a US plate and the original belt that was tooled with Stars.

Now EBAY User name General Lee has matched the tooled belt to a CS belt buckle and states that the belt is Original to the buckle - NOT!!!!!  - Buyer beware

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCEPTIONALLY-RARE-CIVIL-WAR-ERA-CONFEDERATE-CS-OVAL-BELT-BUCKLE-ORIGINAL-BELT/233885406876?hash=item3674a8169c%3Ag%3ALBwAAOSwjqNgHWvZ&LH_Auction=1

I will look at home to see if I saved any pictures of the original item I sold him. 

CS buckle looks pretty bad too, wide rim and overfilled lead.  Is this the same seller with a never-ending supply of Pearl Harbor flags?

I was initially thinking it could be a different belt - but same design, as the current pics make the leather look lighter.  Then I looked closer, and there are a couple of wear characteristics that changed my mind.  Sure looks like the same one.  I’m a dummy on CW buckles, so can’t comment there.

dhcoleterracina

His ebay id is generallee292 for those searching in the future. I agree with the comments but there seems to be no short supply of suckers out there. Sad. 

Maybe be best to add a few photo's here on the topic as it wont be of much value in the future when the ebay sale is ended or deleted. There are so many old topics here with no pictures or ended links and the topics are fractured.

I have always been told by the collectors in the civil war field that buckles with the sharp or pointed puppy paws on the back are a red flag. I bought a nice repo US belt buckle years ago just to have as an example. Figure $20 is a cheap education. Mine is a typical US belt buckle with lead back and the puppy paws are sharp and the brass hook is different than an original I have.  

Here is the back of the suspect CSA buckle. the thick lead as mentioned is also a red flag. CSA stuff is like SS stuff...highly faked and very expensive..

image.png.25d59b919242e3c0e6ff28e744105486.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm totally not liking this guy

here is what he did to the buckle that came with this belt from the original post - what a skumbag

here is the buckle 

here is the ebay buckle listing and he ruined a beautiful buckle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-CIVIL-WAR-ERA-U-S-BUCKLE-WITH-PISTOL-BULLET-EMBEDDED-DEAD-CENTER-GETTYSBURG/383956810598?hash=item59659bfb66%3Ag%3AFvoAAOSwt5ZgKpWA&LH_Auction=1

007.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 2/11/2021 at 2:18 AM, doyler said:

I have always been told by the collectors in the civil war field that buckles with the sharp or pointed puppy paws on the back are a red flag. I bought a nice repo US belt buckle years ago just to have as an example. Figure $20 is a cheap education. Mine is a typical US belt buckle with lead back and the puppy paws are sharp and the brass hook is different than an original I have.  

Here is the back of the suspect CSA buckle. the thick lead as mentioned is also a red flag. CSA stuff is like SS stuff...highly faked and very expensive..

It's worse than that - the buckle is a total fantasy piece that was first produced in the 20th Century as a knock-off of the standard US buckle.  There were a few types of CS oval buckles produced during the War but they were very crude in comparison to the US buckle and none used the arrow type hooks.  This isn't even close to any original Confederate buckle and nobody who has ever looked at a basic reference book should have been fooled.  Someone is about to get a very expensive education (assuming it wasn't shill bidding).

Makes me sick to see someone destroy a beautiful buckle like that.  All for a few bucks.  He mentions a bad day for the wearer.  If it was true it would have been a very good day for the wearer considering the alternative of a bullet going through your belly.  Just sad. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Marktk36thIL

Even if it's real, it's not even worth doing business with him. The moment anyone finds out that is where the buckle came from, it will always be questioned.