M1 through M7 and issued scabbards

LIFER

Seeing different bayonets and knives in both the M8, M8A1 and M10 scabbards as well as the leather ones, I want to confirm the correct ones. With the possibility that the knives were issued in both O.D and leather). Or was it more a personal preference which scabbard was used. 

My M-series bayonet, knife, and scabbard list:

M1 - bayonet for the M1 Garand, 10" - 1943

M2 - paratrooper switchblade knife

M3 - scabbard for the M1905 (aka M1942) 16" bayonet

M3 - fighting/trench knife produced 1943-1944

M4 - bayonet for the M1 Carbine produced with leather and later plastic grips - 1944

M5 and M5A1 - bayonet for the M1 Garand - 1954

M6 - leather scabbard for the M3 knife - 1943

M6 - bayonet for the M14 rifle - 1961

M7 - bayonet for the M16 rifle - 1964

M7 - scabbard for the M1 bayonet - 1943

M8 and M8A1 - scabbards for the M3 through M7

M9 - bayonet for the M16/M4 rifles - 1986

M10 - black plastic scabbard for the M7

M11 - EOD knife

The only leather one was the M6 issued in 1943 with the M3. The M10 was a very late replacement for the older M8A1, probably only seen in the late 80s-90s before the M9 was widely available. Just about every other knife/bayonet was issued with the M8/M8A1. 

For clarification:

The leather M6 scabbard was only issued with the M3 knife, the only bayonet issued with a M10 was the M7.

The other bayonets (M4, M5/M5A1, M6, M7) were issued with a M8/M8A1.

The M9 and M11 use entirely different scabbards.

Hope that answers your question! If not, just ask.

I just realized this is a continuation of last month's thread: 

Matt

Glad to get you reply. Seeing the list and confirming the scabbards. Taking it one step more, which bayonet was the first to be issued in the M8A1? Keeping with fighting knives and bayonets (for a display) I am using the MK2 in place of the M2. Only needing one, they came in a pair, which I traded for. With no company markings, the design rectangles in the blades are different sizes. Does that mean anything? 

Also, is there a good way to clean up the blades of the knives and to touchup the blued finish on the bayonets? 

22 hours ago, sactroop said:

The cross over in production would make both the M8 and the M8A1 correct for the M3 guard marked knife and the M4 Bayonets.

Good to know. Glad to get your reply

Early blade marked 1943 M3s would have most likely been issued with a leather M6, while the later cross guard marked 1944 M3s probably would have had an early M8 without the belt hook or the M8A1. They didn’t throw out all the early M8s though and they were still in the supply system. 
My M3 in an early M8. 

C953E478-9D5A-4AEA-A705-26A64539578D.jpeg