M3 KNIVES What's the difference

LIFER

I just traded an M3 with wooden grips, made by case. A friend has one with a leather handle, made by Imperial. Was this just company thing? Is any worth more or sought after more?

I don't believe CASE ever made wooden handled M3s, nor any other maker. More than likely the handle was added by some previous owner when the leather deteriorated. All M3s were leather, with grooved handles, although there are some smooth handled ones. SKIP

The only major change to M3s during their 2 years of manufacture, regardless of the maker, was the movement of the markings. Originally, they were marked on the right side of the blade "U.S. M3 [Maker Name] 1943", then the year was dropped in 1944, and towards the middle of the year the markings were moved from the blade to the crossguard. This site shows the full markings for all 3 patterns for most makers: http://antiqueoutings.com/m3-trench-knife-the-fighting-knife/ 

15 hours ago, SKIPH said:

I don't believe CASE ever made wooden handled M3s, nor any other maker. More than likely the handle was added by some previous owner when the leather deteriorated. All M3s were leather, with grooved handles, although there are some smooth handled ones. SKIP

That's what I figured. But, I happened to see another M3 with the same wooden handle, on a web site. So, there had to be some one or company giving the option to replace it. Although there is a screw in the middle, it looks professional. 

12 hours ago, MattS said:

The only major change to M3s during their 2 years of manufacture, regardless of the maker, was the movement of the markings. Originally, they were marked on the right side of the blade "U.S. M3 [Maker Name] 1943", then the year was dropped in 1944, and towards the middle of the year the markings were moved from the blade to the crossguard. This site shows the full markings for all 3 patterns for most makers: http://antiqueoutings.com/m3-trench-knife-the-fighting-knife/ 

That's good to know. I will keep it in mind. I will also check the additional info.

10 hours ago, LIFER said:

That's what I figured. But, I happened to see another M3 with the same wooden handle, on a web site. So, there had to be some one or company giving the option to replace it. Although there is a screw in the middle, it looks professional. 

A photo would help solve this mystery if you can post one. 

On 2/10/2021 at 3:51 AM, SKIPH said:

Glad to get your input. That's good to know, confirming this.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:37 AM, MattS said:

Matt

Good to know, this as well. I will check the markings.