1/35 scale Paratrooper in a pig sty.

Old Marine

And now for something completely different, a paratrooper in a pig sty.  COVID-19, Social isolation and back to back snowstorms leaves a lot of time for useless fooling around.  I just did a small model of Guadalcanal Marines and a crocodile.  So in keeping with the GIs interacting with animals theme, and lots of fooling around, here is a D-Day paratrooper landing in a muddy pig sty with some inquisitive pigs.

The figure is bashed together from parts, the parachute harness, reserve chute and all the webbing is just made with paper, white glue and some brass photo etched buckles.  The figure is pretty rough, but once he is painted there will be so much mud and muck stuck on him, that he should look fine.  The hogs are Britain’s plastic farm animals.  The other 2 paratrooper figures are by Nemrod. 

the pig house, fence, roof and the shingles are all just cut up coffee stirrers and bass wood.  The parachute draped over the roof of the pig house will  be made of tissue paper and silk sewing thread.

I will post some more photos as the project progresses.  I hope everyone is well, and that this provides a few moments to kill some time.

thanks. 

Dennis

33C8AAE6-14D2-4660-AE92-40D6E66EC853.jpeg

DA92DA73-505A-4ADE-8158-6E173ED3EDF1.jpeg

4B4026CD-6A50-4C29-84F8-7FF865BA25CB.jpeg

A98AAA5E-2D82-445D-947E-49F06821E024.jpeg

Dennis.. you always amaze me with your imagination and depth of skills. How you take paper and glue and fabricate the harness, chin straps, slings etc.

That trooper looks like hes really  " in the sh*t " 

Great work .

LOL. I love it Dennis. This takes me to the movie "The Longest Day". To quote 'doyler': "...you amaze me with your imagination and depth of skill..." This is why I enjoy your dioramas so much.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Dennis, 

Awesome idea! I truly love to see your work and imagination. I am looking forward to seeing this build!

Are those small rocks glued to the building and fence?

...Kat

A little more progress.  Yes the walls are made of the wood and them covered with little bits of crushed terra cotta that I found at the craft store.

405F1A2E-CC47-4F3A-B187-91DF16DD1B5F.jpeg

Hey Dennis, 

Excellent work on the sty fence and pig shed. I love the brick colors and weathering on the roof. Are the stone walls staying that color? The paratrooper is coming along nicely too. Is that another Hornet head? The mud in the sty looks icky and slimy. 

So when does 'Murphy' go: "This little piggy went to market; and this little piggy...😀

Its looking good and coming along nicely.

Semper Fi.

Manny

General Apathy
On 2/11/2021 at 10:44 PM, Old Marine said:

A little more progress.  Yes the walls are made of the wood and them covered with little bits of crushed terra cotta that I found at the craft store.

405F1A2E-CC47-4F3A-B187-91DF16DD1B5F.jpeg

Hi Dennis,

another excellent diorama I have screen grabbed the photo to send to a modelling friend in the UK, he will enjoy this.

regards, be safe lewis.

I got some more painting done and added straw and foliage.  Still a lot of detail painting to get done.  Manny, yes that’s a Hornet, resin head on the figure.  I really like the Figure heads that Hornet make.  They can really bring an older figure with not so great detail to life.  

anyway, I hope every one is warm and safe.

95665DE5-9CC6-4703-B74E-55C13EC24041.jpeg

6F860EDB-99F9-481B-A53E-0903E9EFFCCB.jpeg

C4C0F4FF-ACAA-48E0-98AF-86305548199F.jpeg

The photos are not the best.  The hogs look a lot redder in the photos than they actually are.  I try and adjust the color in new photos.

Hey Dennis,

I also have to agree with Lars and Kat. You did an amazing job on that muck mud. Something tells me that not too many people will be wanting to be near 'Murph' when he gets out of that sty and into the war. Fantastic work as always.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Yeah, this would be a pretty stinky way to start a campaign.  I am sure his buddies would love having him around.  It would be pretty easy to make this in to a smellarama, but I think I’ll pass on that.

Here are two more photos showing the progress on the parachute.  Thanks for all the comments.  I hope you’re all doing well.

70DBDB0B-D735-43FE-A806-D9AC32E8C185.jpeg

29C263E7-7D48-4B8B-9266-CFC8D089D3CB.jpeg

Poor Sarge covered in pig ....

That chute looks great. 

Can you do a close up of it?

I knew a 101 vet who broke his back landing on a French farmers roof.