Found an early WWII British dark brown 1/2" helmet net

6th.MG.BN

I recently managed to find one of those early WWII British 1/2" dark brown helmet net. I thought I'd throw it on  one of my lids. As you can see from the pics, I didn't spend alot of time fitting it on proper. It had come with bits of hemp twine interlaced in the netting so I let it be.

Ken

DSC00915.JPG

DSC00916.JPG

DSC00918.JPG

DSC00908.JPG

DSC00909.JPG

DSC00910.JPG

DSC00911.JPG

DSC00913.JPG

Thanks guys. I was unaware of these nets up until a couple of years ago, thanks in part to some threads on this forum.

Ken

These nets were used in large numbers by US units on D-Day. The 101st used many of the brown ones. They come in various shades of brown and there is also a British 1/4 inch net. 

37C38FC0-1CD7-4642-BCA4-9FCDAD1E1B1C.jpeg

Very nice, your net still looks soft, sometimes these were treated with an anti rot inhibitor, I have some that are heavier and not as soft because of this, along with some unissued ones that were never treated. Kinda like the before and after of adding mink oil to leather boots. 

Nice find ! 

5 hours ago, king802 said:

These nets were used in large numbers by US units on D-Day. The 101st used many of the brown ones. They come in various shades of brown and there is also a British 1/4 inch net. 

37C38FC0-1CD7-4642-BCA4-9FCDAD1E1B1C.jpeg

Nice helmet and net along with the info on the nets.

Thanks for posting.

Ken

30 minutes ago, Justin said:

Very nice, your net still looks soft, sometimes these were treated with an anti rot inhibitor, I have some that are heavier and not as soft because of this, along with some unissued ones that were never treated. Kinda like the before and after of adding mink oil to leather boots. 

Nice find ! 

Justin,

Thanks. It actually has the rot inhibitor with that great smell that goes along with it. It does have a slightly stiff feel to the touch.

Ken