Spanish American War haversack, any other old canvas and wool uniform preservation.

Cote_1918

The worst thing that has happened to me as a collector, is when things rip, tear, break or just disintegrate in your hands. This is sadly (currently) happening to my M1878 haversack. Certain spots on the canvas are so badly soiled that if you pinch it the canvas will crack. I have already found many progressing holes. I do realize storage conditions could have contributed to this but, it's very dry were I keep it. I bought it from IMA 2-3 years ago and they may have stored it in their warehouse, explaining why the haversack is rotting away. Can I prevent this with my other equipment in some way? And maybe prevent further more damage to the haversack? I might build a cedar case if moisture is a problem that I might be un aware of/

My other question is, any tips on preserving wool uniforms? I might just have an anxiety attack when I think about moth holes in my WW1 uniforms and my grandfather's navy uniforms. Moth balls would probably be the go-to but what if other people in my house hold wouldn't tolerate the smell. Would red cedar core in the pockets work to keep moths away? Any suggestions are welcome!!!

- Cote_1918

• 2 weeks later...

Cote_1918,

I am in the midst of finding a conservator for a WW1 uniform I have. It seems a rodent probably bit the one sleeve but thankfully nothing else was soiled. I'm providing you a website of conservators across the country that work in many forms of media. Perhaps someone in this broad index could give you ideas on preservation, or perhaps do some professional conservation to stabilize your canvas piece. I'm sure someone could also give you info on keeping bugs at bay. Good luck!

https://www.culturalheritage.org/