1943 USMC Officers bag

P-59A

Then why buy this bag if it was surplus? The norm from the late 40's to the 70's was for surplus gear to have the price marked on the item in grease pencil. Much of what I have was used for camping and put away in the garage until it made its way to the swap meet and that grease pencil price tag is the give away. With so much good gear being sold for a couple of bucks this bag strikes me as not something I would have ever used. It's of a poor design and to be honest would have been a poor book bag at best post war. The Army musette bag is better than this in as far as being a practical carry bag. I used my dad's M-56 pack as a book bag and I still have it. Its a good bag, much better than the one I posted. Like I said your question is valid because I do not know the answer. I'm sure those who can speak with some authority will chime in.

When I went to the estate sale I was hopping to find stuff, but the family did the right thing and kept the things I would have been interested in. I almost didn't buy this because I do not collect USMC, but after looking at it hard I changed my mind. Clearly this was not something they wanted to keep.

From the first look impression stamps looks odd for me. But after a search some more example of musette bag USMC stamped in the net looks like the same and correct. 

Cheers,

Jerry

45 minutes ago, jerry_k said:

From the first look impression stamps looks odd for me. But after a search some more example of musette bag USMC stamped in the net looks like the same and correct. 

Cheers,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!!  David

Matt did a search and found a big issue for me. The first photo is  Royal from a period news paper story of his death. The second photo is a period theater photo and is named as him, the last photo and the is the ID tag. Then we have signatures. Are these the same guy?

t1a.jpg.6718699a14ffdb64ee328ad55cef2786.jpg

78904.jpg

20210211_090628 (2).jpg

t3.jpg.7785f055aeed006b25c82f332fd30ea0.jpg

t3.jpg.7785f055aeed006b25c82f332fd30ea0 (2).jpg

t3.jpg.7785f055aeed006b25c82f332fd30ea0 (3).jpg

2 hours ago, P-59A said:

Matt did a search and found a big issue for me. The first photo is  Royal from a period news paper story of his death. The second photo is a period theater photo and is named as him, the last photo and the is the ID tag. Then we have signatures. Are these the same guy?

They're definitely not the same guys comparing the two photos.  I think I've found the correct Royal W. Thompson, so stand by.......Matt/aznation

Ok, so I can't explain what the situation is with the USMC musette bag other than if you look at what I believe is the correct signature for Royal W. (Warren) Thompson, his "R" can look a whole lot like a "P".  Just like the left side of the "T" on the bag is really faded, it almost looks like the possible "R" on the bottom right side of it could be faded but slightly visible.  I'm not sure.  Royal Warren Thompson had no brother/s I could find but I believe this is the correct person whose signature is on the ID tag and he has the California connection.

t1.jpg

t1a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...