Parachute helmet 1980s - usmc recon

usmc-collector

usmc-collector

Parachute helmet as used by marines recon in 1980s, basically it is motorcyclist helmet used by us armed forces, but on photos in 1980s and 1990s you can see this helmet to be worn by recon marines or by other us armed forces airborne units, last photo is detail from official photo showing marine recon display in 1981

JAROSLAV

post-31-1233097395.jpg

post-31-1233097402.jpg

post-31-1233097408.jpg

post-31-1233097518.jpg

craig_pickrall

Hello Jaroslav, nice helmet in camo like that. I have one too but mine is the standard white and has an 82nd Airborne Sport Parachute Club decal on the front.

I have included some more pics of the helmet in use from a demo by the west coast Marines. There is 25 or 30 pics in all but I have just included the ones that show the helmet.

post-5-1233190643.jpg

post-5-1233190651.jpg

post-5-1233190656.jpg

Nice pics Craig.Thanks for posting.The helmet in the first pic post#2 looks like a standard football helmet.I have seen them used a lot.

RON

craig_pickrall

Arch, I would think your best bet is around Ft Campbell. Since these date back to the 80's it may be hard to find one now. Like Ron said, some of them appear to be football helmets and the others are motorcycle helmets. I don't think they were mass produced in a camo pattern. I think they were done by the user. If you look at them closely each camo pattern is different. One of them looks like the camo 200 MPH tape was used. I still have a roll of that unused that I need to look at. Some of them are flat black too.

Ron, thanks for the nice comment. Post #4 Pics 2 & 3 look like football helmets too. It looks like all of the FB helmets are flat black and the motorcycle helmets are camo'ed. The flat black helmets look like there is a cartoon character drawn on the back but I can't make out the detail.

Craig,

Just hit Ft. Campbell a few weeks back and found nothing. I hit every surplus store I could find down there. Only one had any older SF type items, the rest had newer items. I'll have to keep looking next time I'm down that way. Thanks again!

Arch

craig_pickrall

Try Pawn Shops and 2nd hand stores too. You might just want to settle for an old helmet and paint it your self. I think the standard colors in that ancient time was gloss white or gloss black. The one I have is white.

Arch,

Flea markets are a great place to find old MC or football helmets.I see the old Bell style cycle helmets quite regularly.Craig is spot on these were usually done by individuals.Just rough up the surface and paint.some where I have an old white foot ball helmet.

RON

I would want to find original one used by Recon instead of buying one and spray paint it because it would be considered as fake/reproduction.

I would want to find original one used by Recon instead of buying one and spray paint it because it would be considered as fake/reproduction.

I understand Merc, but every single one of the helmets in question has been hand camo'd. It would be darn near impossible to know if one was "real" or "repro". The only way to know for sure, is to buy one directly off of a former Recon member. Very problematic.

Arch

usmc-collector

Craig,

great photos of marines, thank you for posting them. I like to see early type of woodland BDU with wide collars.

JAROSLAV