Tiger Stripe Boonie hats, berets and Cowboy hats

pwmiraldi67

Beau-Brummel
this pin says it all!!!

P

Now that Is one lovely hat Paul! Many thanks for showing us, you have been sharing some Incredible Items lately and I can promise you they are eagerly awaited and much appreciated by us Brits. The market Is still emerging here and one can't really find much nice Vietnam stuff In the UK , so It Is a real treat to be given Insights Into the advanced US collections.

Had a bit of a result the other week when everyone was at the SOS. Ebay was really quiet and I managed to snag the odd bargain. I was amazed to win this Black Cowboy hat for about thirty dollars. 16th SOS flew out of Ubon so whilst there's no provenance I recon that for thirty bucks I'm entitled to dream :lol: .

Anyway, hope you like It and thanks again for all the lovely Items you and your friends post.

Yours, Guy.

post-1781-1239275050.jpg

post-1781-1239275063.jpg

pwmiraldi67

wow!! what a great deal!!!!!!!!!! I'll give you 31.00 dollars for it :) LOL

No really thats an awsome hat bro!!!

Too cool glad you got it for a deal too!!

paul

post-2472-1239294014.jpg

post-2472-1239294031.jpg

pwmiraldi67
Paul you plonker .

Your boonie in 125 is mash .

o

NOPE those were taken in 1996 at bob Norres house, that was his boonie and way before there was MASH tadpole, I believe Bob sold this hat after he passed away :)

sorry

paul

pwmiraldi67
Paul you plonker .

Your boonie in 125 is mash .

o

After talking with Owen who spoke with Bob, they informed me that Bob Norsse did indeed have an early example of Tapoles made by MASH, like I stated I took these pix way back in 1996, which is the date on the back of the photos I had no idea that MASH was making these things that long ago, so sorry for the mistake :)

P

vintageproductions

Paul-Bob Nourse would come to my shop about twice a week. I believe he bought a few pieces of MASH tiger stripe, but can't remember exactly what. I know I didn't handle this boonie after he died, and I don't remember seeing it when we picked up the collection.

Bob

pwmiraldi67
Paul-Bob Nourse would come to my shop about twice a week. I believe he bought a few pieces of MASH tiger stripe, but can't remember exactly what. I know I didn't handle this boonie after he died, and I don't remember seeing it when we picked up the collection.

Bob

Thanks Bob for clearing that up for me, it must have been dick who had the hat, sorry for the confusion! Glad to know the hats a repro now, I had no idea MASH was makin em that early, nor that Bob Nourse had some walking around hats.

thanks for the heads up on the hat bob, much appreciated :)

paul

nguoi tien su

Guy,

Your hat could be also related to the 497th TFS (Night Owls). They were flying with black suits from Ubon as well.

You were lucky to get it that price, I forgot the dead line for the auction ! :blink:

Paul, Thanks for the document and medal. Very informative (and so sexy!)

NTS

pwmiraldi67
Guy,

Your hat could be also related to the 497th TFS (Night Owls). They were flying with black suits from Ubon as well.

You were lucky to get it that price, I forgot the dead line for the auction ! :blink:

Paul, Thanks for the document and medal. Very informative (and so sexy!)

NTS

My pleasure!! gotta get some more pix of leuders stuff. I currently have about 800+ photos from laos and white star, alot of great cowboy hats in most of the photos as well as some early berets too :)

P

Is this boonie a repro then? The air vents do not go all the way through the lining. But the I can not see any evidence of this having been made from a cut up shirt. It looks factory made.

post-249-1239375235.jpg

pwmiraldi67
detail

Hey it looks good to me, I don't believe MASH made the Tadpole tiger boonie with the white and red size tag.

looks good!!

p

vintageproductions

This boonie hat is Japanese made. It is not a MASH Silver pattern, but there is / was another company who made this type in the mid-to late 1980's and sold them. I am not saying this is one of them, but they were exact and the only difference is the base cotton material. From the photos, yours look great.

This boonie hat is Japanese made. It is not a MASH Silver pattern, but there is / was another company who made this type in the mid-to late 1980's and sold them. I am not saying this is one of them, but they were exact and the only difference is the base cotton material. From the photos, yours look great.

So there is a possibilty that it is an original pre-1975 boonie cap even through the air grommets do not go through the liner?

pwmiraldi67
So there is a possibilty that it is an original pre-1975 boonie cap even through the air grommets do not go through the liner?

All my tiger boonies have the smae gromets not going through the liner, so that shouldnt upset you or lead you to believe its a fake :)

paul

vintageproductions

I have no problem with it. Just pointing out there was a Japanese company that made and sold ones that are almost identical.

pwmiraldi67
I have no problem with it. Just pointing out there was a Japanese company that made and sold ones that are almost identical.

Thanks Bob

I didnt know there was another company making good repros, I'll have to keep my eyes open :)

thanks again for all your help!!

paul

Thanks for helping to clear this up. I thought I had read here that the grommets not going through the lining was the kiss of death. That is what I get for reading through posts too fast!

Beau-Brummel

Dear Owen and Paul,

Many thanks for your kind words, I was amazed to get It for that price as the last one made nearly 300 and was unbadged. Still I suppose thats why It made so much.

Hi NTS, that's a really good point, thanks. I know there's no provenance but I like to think It might have been worn by an interesting unit like that.

Wow Bob that's one scary repro! Just go's to show how good they got. Also illustrates the point that cos a vet owned It It Itn't automatically good. I can't believe the purple fade to It!

Once again many thanks to all who commented. I've got another one on the way that I'll put up when It arrives.

Best Regards From GB, Guy.