Tiger Stripe Boonie hats, berets and Cowboy hats

pwmiraldi67

MF

Your boonie in post 72 you is a repo .

This hat was made from a cut up shirt .

If you look at the vents in this classic style notice how they go all the way through .

In a Japanese made boonie the vents only go half way through and never through the black liner .

Unless your hat is custom and does not conform to the norm , but it looks like one of our friends from SF to me .

Jerome

I think you nailed it on the SOG style boonie for sure

owen

Here are 2 of mine. The Marine Corp type cap has a zig-zag pattern and has the following embroidered in white on the back.

CLAY YOU GOT ME CONFUSED PAL CLAY

Also has the rank embroidered in white and the size sticker 56 cm 6 7/8 inside

The Boonie has the small white tag with the letter M in red still attached. I dont think either of these were used.

post-2427-1235413829.jpgpost-2427-1235413860.jpg

post-2427-1235413890.jpgpost-2427-1235413911.jpg

that is a fantastic tiger hat you have and funny as well !!!!

I love to see personality in tiger head gear .

I once had a boonie with All we have is good ,and something else I forget with a peace sign patch on the top , I wonder who owns it now ?

Your Boonie 53 is just the way I like them .

Great pieces .

owen

Bob, Yes that one was acquired from you as you remember it well. Think it was on your site for a while until I got lucky enough to get it. Really one of the gems in my collection.

bill brewster

Hello all if you're still lookin,

Regarding the time frame of use for the T079 hat, at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum we have one that was brought home by Chaplain Ray Stubbe. He obtained it at the Lang Vei Special Forces camp while he was serving as chaplain at Khe Sanh. This of course means the hat predates February 1968.

Bill Brewster

Curator

Wisconsin Veterans Museum

MF

Your boonie in post 72 you is a repo .

This hat was made from a cut up shirt .

If you look at the vents in this classic style notice how they go all the way through .

In a Japanese made boonie the vents only go half way through and never through the black liner .

Unless your hat is custom and does not conform to the norm , but it looks like one of our friends from SF to me .

Jerome

I think you nailed it on the SOG style boonie for sure

owen

Sorry but I don't quite understand what you are saying here, are the vents that do NOT go through the lining only the outer material good or bad?

Beau-Brummel
Hello all if you're still lookin,

Regarding the time frame of use for the T079 hat, at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum we have one that was brought home by Chaplain Ray Stubbe. He obtained it at the Lang Vei Special Forces camp while he was serving as chaplain at Khe Sanh. This of course means the hat predates February 1968.

Bill Brewster

Curator

Wisconsin Veterans Museum

Bill,

Many thanks, that Is a superb piece of Information and really helps thank you.

QED4,

I think what Owen meant (and I hope he doesn't mind me speaking for him) Is that the classic Japanese made boonie (what a lot of people refer to as ciso, and that drives the experts mad) does not have grommets that go all the way through the liner. Other types like the TO79 hats discussed here do have grommets that go all the way through but the Japanese contract caps should not. This type Is the one I show In one of my posts with the Vietnamese rank insignia pinning up the brim.

Hope this helps. Guy.

• 3 weeks later...

My first piece of Vietnam headgear. A friend shows me his newly found hat. He tought it was French Indochina period.

I told him it is from the American war... so he gave it to me !

post-467-1237469270.jpg

post-467-1237469517.jpg

Drago Romainville, Laotian Para wings.

That is an excellent piece of headgear! It mirrors the construction of a bush hat in my collection worn by Captain Charles Darnell during his White Star (Laos) tour. If you could post shots of the lining and the vent grommets it would help.

Jason Hardy (thedogtag.com) sold a hat like yours with the Laotian jump wings pinned to the side on his site about 8 years ago.

---Chris

post-467-1237477896.jpg

Here are shots of my CPT Darnell White Star bush hat. They are different in construction and the one Jason Hardy sold on his site mirrored the construction of mine. Not to say yours couldn't be White Star. No way to tell without provenance.

I realize these hats are not tiger stripe and I apologize for steering this thread off course momentarily.

---Chris

post-235-1237478350.jpg

post-235-1237478372.jpg

I did not pay too much attention at the topic title. I thought it was for favorite piece of headgear ! I am sure that Paul will understand ;)

Well, like I wrote my friend gave it to me in 1991 when I started Vietnam collecting. No story behind. Picked up in a ragmill company supplied by a larger vintage clothing facility in UK. The company which is now out of business used to supply Paris and country wide vintage clothing stores. Levi's, Indigo denims, BDUs, etc...

Classic hat Andrei ,

I love the earily patachute cowboys !!!

Paul post the one my old missus got marryed in .

You still have it ??

Beau ,

You spoke correctly like a poet .

owen

Bob & Owen,

remember last Christmas when I was mad because Air France lost my luggage for four weeks ?

This hat was in my bag....

post-467-1237483375.jpg