Tiger Stripe Boonie hats, berets and Cowboy hats

pwmiraldi67

Beau-Brummel,

Does this boonie have a size stamp inside the crown? I have had two boonies like this, both sewn with heavy black nylon thread and they had size stamps in the crown. I will see if I can dig out pics.

---Chris

post-235-1234747698.jpg

Hi Chris,

yes It does. I know a lot of people are a bit leery of these due to the nylon but I like them. There was a post on here some time ago (I think In Owens Tiger thread possibly), where a member showed one of these brought back at the time by his father in law and that sort of confirmed It to me. They all have a rough silk liner which on all the examples I have handled has become really fragile due to age. The crown carries a size stamp and the designation T079 which again I have seen In all examples.

It would be nice to see your pics Chris.

Very Best Regards, Guy.

Chris HBT told me about this hat last night, of course too late for either of to buy it, it was already sold!!! DAMN it

Nice hat!!!

thanks Chris,

paul

post-2472-1235019987.jpg

post-2472-1235020000.jpg

post-2472-1235020011.jpg

Chris HBT told me about this hat last night, of course too late for either of to buy it, it was already sold!!! DAMN it

Nice hat!!!

thanks Chris,

paul

Hi PAUL

Yes this hat is sell to a French collector

CHEERS JEROME

Hi Chris,

yes It does. I know a lot of people are a bit leery of these due to the nylon but I like them. There was a post on here some time ago (I think In Owens Tiger thread possibly), where a member showed one of these brought back at the time by his father in law and that sort of confirmed It to me. They all have a rough silk liner which on all the examples I have handled has become really fragile due to age. The crown carries a size stamp and the designation T079 which again I have seen In all examples.

It would be nice to see your pics Chris.

Very Best Regards, Guy.

Yes, that is the exact boonie type I was referring to. I've had two over the years and they were identical with "A-L and T079" stamped in the crown. I still have one and will post pics when I get a chance.

One of them my friend picked up at a gun show for a good price and sold it to me.

The other one was purchased by a friend in a hole in the wall antique shop in the middle of Nebraska several years ago. The boonie was stuffed in the pocket of a M65 field jacket and he bought the hat for around $2.00 if I remember correctly.

Honestly, I would be very surprised to hear evidence that these are repro. Does anyone have a vet acquired example, or verification that these are bad???

If I've come across two of them out here in the lonely plains, surely there are dealers on this forum who've seen many more who can weigh in on this.

---Chris

Chris, I didn't acquire this boonie from a veteran so I can not state for sure where it came from. However, this is the only one I have seen and I would think we would see more of them if they were reproductions.

vintageproductions

These boonies are not repros. Like Mike said, if they were we would see more of them. I have handled probably twenty or more of this type. They are always made the same way and the stamps are always in the same place.

About fifteen or eighteen years ago I was in the Philippines in a area near Clark Air Force base that sold militaria equipment people stole off the base, and sold their wares. While walking through this buildnig there was actually a guy working one of the stalls that was wearing one of these boonies. He couldn't remember where he got it but had, had it for years. Needless to say that was the last day he had owned it. He thought I was nuts, for wanting it, but it made my day, as it was the best piece I found that day there.

:lol: Great story Bob!

I have seen several of these fail to sell on ebay for very reasonable prices. for me they always seemed real and couldn't work out why others didn't like them.

yours, Guy.

vintageproductions

I just think they are really late war. They all have the classic Pork Pie type shallow crown design. If I remember right they all fade to a purple tint and are always embroidered with a black machine stitched details.

HI ALL

I agree with Bob this type of boonie is legit but for me is not really late time use ,what we can found

TO 79 in the boonie

TO 78 in the shirt with black buttons

TO 81 in the pants with black buttons

But at this time i don t find the TO 80 in garmet ( and witch one cap, poncho, gloves ,short ????) but sure i believe is come one day

Cheers jerome

Nice hat!!!

thanks Chris,

paul

Hi Paul

On this pics some things like yours boonies thumbsup.gif

Cheers Jerome

post-1486-1235392300.jpg