WW1 AU LION Trench Knife

PIMP_2

The synopsis I received from my deceased great grandfather:

The was a service issued trench knife to his father. At the time they were instructed to "keep them greased". His father did not care to carry the trench knife as it was uncomfortable so he greased it and stored it away. At another point in time they were instructed that it may be worth sending belongings back home so that family had something, just in case. In his case he had some German currency that he had several of his buddies scribbled on like a year book, some local write ups, this trench knife and a "letter home".

He ended up not making it back home and my great grandfather ended up with this box of items. 30 years ago no one else was interested in this box of "stuff" when my great grandfather passed. I was asked if I wanted it because of the currency, as a child I collected currency from other countries/eras. I ended up with the whole box and did the same the others had done, I stored it away and never touched it. I have been hauling it around for ever it seems.

Original example, albeit heavily buffed.  Looks like muslin wheel on a bench grinder job.

Priceless as a family heirloom, very nice.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, Blacksmith said:

Original example, albeit heavily buffed.  Looks like muslin wheel on a bench grinder job.

Priceless as a family heirloom, very nice.

Thanks Blacksmith. 

If you are referring to the striations that run across the blade, that was caused from the knife not being fully engaged into the scabbard during transport when we moved. When I received the knife long ago these striations were not present. In fact the blade itself has never been touched by human hands other than my great great grandfather, let alone a buffing wheel. The striations on the blade match perfectly to where the retention indention of the scabbard make contact with the blade when not engage (see pictures). The luster that is left on the blade is original.

IMG_3639.JPEG

IMG_3640.JPEG