WWII Green buckle leather chin strap for M1 liner sold for $160.+ wow.

6th.MG.BN

I dunno. A liner strap? I definitely disagree. Chinstraps on a steel pot no doubt can’t live without but I find these less important. Personal preference of course. That being said. Most of mine are complete w liner strap. 

I have to admit I'm a fan of a complete helmet/liner. I don't think I would pay that amount for one though.

Not all displayed helmets can have the shell's chinstrap displayed hooked around the back but all can have their liner chinstrap hooked over the front. That to me is the classic picture of a period used helmet.

That's just me

Ken

Green buckle liner straps in good condition have been selling for $100 + as long as I remember. 

I agree that $160 for a used one is crazy. 

They can still be found inside helmets / liners and brought for less than a strap alone would sell for. 

Example, I recently brought a rigger AB liner that had a mint green buckle that was never clamped down, with a clean swearband and nape I paid $170 after shipping. It came with a clean sweatband and nape, no chincup though. 

On ebay parts seem to sell at higher profit than complete liners. I see it all the time with Vietnam helmets / parts. A clean 1959 usmc helmet cover could sell for $125 plus at the same time you can buy a helmet set with a 1959 cover for less. Go figure. 

While I agree a helmet looks nice with the liner strap. There have been examples of helmets being used in combat without either liner chinstrap or helmet chinstrap. I’m sure some might have lacked the nape strap as well since they weren’t adored by many of those who wore helmets in the period.

IMO the definition of a “period used helmet” has many shapes and forms. And plenty of those don’t include the liner chinstrap.

I often wondered this for years, and I think it’s the shows like saving private Ryan and band of brothers where regardless of where or how long they had been in the war, every soldier had his pristine leather liner chinstrap still over the brim of his helmet. I think it’s here where the idea that they’re needed to “complete” a helmet come from rather then actual period photographs and such. Just my two cents though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burning Hazard

I've been going through hundreds of hours of HD footage and pictures. Once thing I noticed is that leather liner chinstraps are nearly devoid in the Korean War, I wonder if maybe they had supply problems? Maybe the WWII manufactured liner chinstraps we piled in warehouses and forgotten before the DOT ones got manufactured?

Below are some photos of early KW (1950); essentially early KW was just WWII equipment re-used.

Pat

KW Helmets.JPG

Korean War Helmet Examples.jpg

I always thought they were deemed as superfluous equipment in non-garrison/parade scenarios post-ww2. They never really had much of a use in ww2, and were somewhat expensive for something that just hung over the brim of the helmet.

Supply and demand.  Leather liner chinstraps are both iconic and delicate.  

Though not necessary to display a ww2 m1 helmet accurately, to many collectors that display is incomplete without an original ww2 era liner strap.  Shells, liners, even liner suspension all age FAR better than these delicate leather chinstraps.  

I wouldn't pay $160 for one, but I get how the price gets so inflated.  

thatrandomguy

How interesting, I’ve purchased complete and unissued WWII liners between the price ranges of $137-$150, with two of those having the green leather chinstrap.

I wonder if it’s more of people not knowing how to look more closely at pictures or maybe people were that desperate for the green buckle. 

Not only that, but I purchased a very nice fixed bail for $170. If $160 can get you a green buckled liner chinstrap, it almost encourages me to part out helmets to make more money when the time comes to sell. 

7 hours ago, john k said:

Supply and demand.  Leather liner chinstraps are both iconic and delicate.  

Though not necessary to display a ww2 m1 helmet accurately, to many collectors that display is incomplete without an original ww2 era liner strap.  Shells, liners, even liner suspension all age FAR better than these delicate leather chinstraps.  

I wouldn't pay $160 for one, but I get how the price gets so inflated.  

well said 

1 hour ago, 6th.MG.BN said:

Doyer,

It looks like your on your way to an early retirement.

Ken

So that’s what a 401K looks like. Hmm. Haha

General Apathy
On 2/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, 6th.MG.BN said:

Z, I agree. Most of the liners you see for sale have no sweat band, nape strap or chin strap.

This stripping down has been going on for some time now.

Ken

Hi Ken,  why didn't someone tell me in 2019 that flat buckle green o.d. liner straps would reach $160 each in 2021:lol: :lol:

I spent almost the month of February 2019 adding all the missing pieces to part of my collection of liners ready for auction in June that year. Looks like all the individual parts exceed a complete liner price. 

interesting subject M1 helmets and parts there-of, different to back in the day when a helmet was an helmet, was an helmet . . . . . . . . .

regards lewis

.fullsizeoutput_8e7a.jpeg.96d86b50531632efa1ce492e1de68e4c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e82.jpeg.ae55d25871b8ae642a920385b381642b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e73.jpeg.d84f513dd8e47de06905cca04da0ef49.jpeg

Lewis,

That's quite the selection of helmet liner parts!

I guess like everyone else is thinking, it may be time to remove the parts from helmets liners before selling them.

Ken

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Ken,  why didn't someone tell me in 2019 that flat buckle green o.d. liner straps would reach $160 each in 2021:lol: :lol:

I spent almost the month of February 2019 adding all the missing pieces to part of my collection of liners ready for auction in June that year. Looks like all the individual parts exceed a complete liner price. 

interesting subject M1 helmets and parts there-of, different to back in the day when a helmet was an helmet, was an helmet . . . . . . . . .

regards lewis

.fullsizeoutput_8e7a.jpeg.96d86b50531632efa1ce492e1de68e4c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e82.jpeg.ae55d25871b8ae642a920385b381642b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8e73.jpeg.d84f513dd8e47de06905cca04da0ef49.jpeg

Mama Mia!  

General Apathy
1 hour ago, 6th.MG.BN said:

Lewis,

That's quite the selection of helmet liner parts!

I guess like everyone else is thinking, it may be time to remove the parts from helmets liners before selling them.

Ken

Hi Ken,  I hate to see things broken or separated apart. Maybe twenty years or so ago an American dealer I knew had several thousand original photographs taken by the Adjutant at an American airbase. It was an outstanding photographic reference of everything and everyone at this airbase during WWII, there was also all the photographs he took around cities and places in the UK during his leisure time off.  

I suggested that this collection of photographs would have made an outstanding published reference work if printed, the dealer said that he could make more money selling the photographs individually as there were previously unpublished images of Glenn Miller, Bob Hope and many other famous Hollywood stars taken during USO tours of this camp, Mount Farm, Oxfordshire..

Sadly the Hugh collection of photographs was broken up never to be reassembled again and the historical worth of the photographs and the service life of the servicemen lost forever, still devastated by this twenty years later.

There were around twenty shots left unsold and I managed to get these, the two attached photos show a spitfire and a P-38 from a U.S. photo reconnaissance unit based at Mount Farm Oxfordshire.  Please watch this fifteen minute clip of a Spitfire flown by a US airman and his crash landing at Mount Farm after a reconnaissance flight over Berlin, the planes were unarmed, amazing documentary.

lewis

.fullsizeoutput_8e9c.jpeg.e78ba677a75d19264e2a6bcec4eaf367.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8ea3.jpeg.2ac5f8377ae78ad66f2fdeb831436299.jpeg

Lewis,

That was a great video thanks for sharing it. I feel the same way about breaking up groupings. Unfortunately alot of the pickers/dealers who find this stuff don't always have the same passion for the history or at the end of the day, have to make a buck.

Ken

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Ken,  I hate to see things broken or separated apart. Maybe twenty years or so ago an American dealer I knew had several thousand original photographs taken by the Adjutant at an American airbase. It was an outstanding photographic reference of everything and everyone at this airbase during WWII, there was also all the photographs he took around cities and places in the UK during his leisure time off.  

I suggested that this collection of photographs would have made an outstanding published reference work if printed, the dealer said that he could make more money selling the photographs individually as there were previously unpublished images of Glenn Miller, Bob Hope and many other famous Hollywood stars taken during USO tours of this camp, Mount Farm, Oxfordshire..

Sadly the Hugh collection of photographs was broken up never to be reassembled again and the historical worth of the photographs and the service life of the servicemen lost forever, still devastated by this twenty years later.

There were around twenty shots left unsold and I managed to get these, the two attached photos show a spitfire and a P-38 from a U.S. photo reconnaissance unit based at Mount Farm Oxfordshire.  Please watch this fifteen minute clip of a Spitfire flown by a US airman and his crash landing at Mount Farm after a reconnaissance flight over Berlin, the planes were unarmed, amazing documentary.

lewis

.fullsizeoutput_8e9c.jpeg.e78ba677a75d19264e2a6bcec4eaf367.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8ea3.jpeg.2ac5f8377ae78ad66f2fdeb831436299.jpeg

I'll agree with everyone. That's a great video! 

Burning Hazard
5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

lewis

Lewis,

Sadly I still see this on eBay photograph section every day. You can clearly tell some photos were in a group and taken by 1 person documenting their time in the ETO, then being sold individually as separate auctions. Worst is occasionally seeing fresh tears on the back of the photos because they were ripped out of an album to be sold individually; documented history getting broken into oblivion like that.

Pat

I never got the breaking up photo groups. Just seems like it would be so hard to sell each photo individually, especially considering ww2 photos are not worth very much alone without some sort of special connection or something.