WWII Green buckle leather chin strap for M1 liner sold for $160.+ wow.

6th.MG.BN

I sold one recently for $120.00, and I didn't  think they'd go much higher. This occured about 10 years ago with Hawley, General Fibre, St. Claire and Hood Rubber liners.  They all sky rocketed to over $500 but now they have dropped substantially. It's the market fluctuations,  so sell them while you can. 😉

It's amazing how much these can go for! Personally I would never pay that much for one, I'd rather take the money and buy a shell and liner with it. Apparently someone had a set they wanted to complete bad enough to pay that much. 

Started to avoid putting these on helmets as they are incredibly fragile sometimes, doesn't take too much for dry ones to snap. Probably best to just display it next to the helmet or something. 

Burning Hazard

Yea, I remember not long ago these would go for $75.00 tops.

I noticed everything has been skyrocketing in price and, thanks to TV shows like Pawn Stars, I see a lot of non-collectors flooding the market looking to flip WWII items (these are also the same folks that will fall for fake Ranger and 101 AB helmets thinking they struck gold).

1 hour ago, ken88 said:

Started to avoid putting these on helmets as they are incredibly fragile sometimes, doesn't take too much for dry ones to snap. Probably best to just display it next to the helmet or something. 

Not all leather liner chinstraps are frail, I have plenty that are super supple and adjustable and they are usually the early-mid war russet leather type. The late WWII leather liner chinstraps started using thin, cheaper leather that cracks easy but it also depends on the makers.

Pat

I agree, it's just that they will sometimes break in unexperienced hands or when a helmet falls or something (accidents happen, had a late war strap break this way). Usually the straps that have been on the helmet since the war will tend to be dry, some will have turned white-ish with age, which is a sign of moisture and rotting, those will easily snap on detaching (please never try detaching or readjusting these dry straps by opening the buckle). Just trying to warn people. It's okay to have one or two on a helmet, they look great on helmets, I get it, but the straps themselves are really better off stored seperately to avoid the strain on the leather, buckles should remain open too in case they are. There are good repros and decent quality post war ones out there for display purposes.

Of course everyone does with their things as they see fit, just hoping no more straps fall prey to carelessness or accidents. Quite a few stories of straps breaking on this forum alone. All I'm trying to say is the less these straps are handled, the better, to that end, straps that have been on helmets for a long time should remain on the helmet. 

I get these are nice pieces but similarly don’t understand why people are paying so much. It would be just as accurate to display a helmet without one then as with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it comes down to marketing. When the seller knows what the item is and describes it correctly, it gets attention. Still doesn't explain the new price threshold though.

You can still find the green buckle chin straps attached to liners for far less.

I guess next WWII Italian helmets will start selling for big bucks, not.

Ken

I was fortunate to grab two of them a couple of years back in the $75 range that have wonderful leather. I recently lucked out on ebay and landed a bit "drier" version for under $40, but that was a fluke. 

I'm with Hunt, it's just as correct to display a helmet without one.

Burning Hazard
1 hour ago, jmd62 said:

I was fortunate to grab two of them a couple of years back in the $75 range that have wonderful leather. I recently lucked out on ebay and landed a bit "drier" version for under $40, but that was a fluke. 

I'm with Hunt, it's just as correct to display a helmet without one.

Sometimes if you check eBay just at the right time you can snag a good leather liner chinstrap under $100; I was lucky a couple of times and used a BIN just as some were posted. Alas, it is getting harder now that there are folks checking eBay 24/7. I also think our forum For Sale section has some reasonably priced ones from time to time.

Pat

I saw this. More than a complete solid liner on its own would go for. Unfortunately these prices will no doubt add to the stripping down of these liners down and selling piecemeal which I have no doubt has been going on for awhile now. I may add a nape strap or a sweatband to complete a piece. But I most certainly would never take away from one. A bummer but we all see this kinda stuff going on and I guess we do our best not to perpetuate it. If you are a genuine lover of history and untouched Militaria that is.  Oh well. 
Z

Z, I agree. Most of the liners you see for sale have no sweat band, nape strap or chin strap.

This stripping down has been going on for some time now.

Ken

11 minutes ago, 6th.MG.BN said:

Z, I agree. Most of the liners you see for sale have no sweat band, nape strap or chin strap.

This stripping down has been going on for some time now.

Ken

Parting out militaria for profit has been going on as long as I've been collecting this stuff(in the mid-70's) and I am certain it went on long before that. This happened with Picklehaubs and then later with TR helmets. Everyone wants all the correct and pristine parts so that THEIR lid looks great. We tend to get all aghast over this but, this occurs in all areas of collecting. Check out all the potentially great muscles cars that have been robbed of their parts in order to make another muscle car even more awesome. It is the circle of life. 

I've often wondered how many of these leather liner chinstraps even survived the war. I've seen a lot of period photos showing helmets without them. 

2 hours ago, jmd62 said:

I've often wondered how many of these leather liner chinstraps even survived the war. I've seen a lot of period photos showing helmets without them. 

seen a box or of them in the mid to late 70s when my dad first started taking me to shows. One old guy had a bit of surplus and had chin straps in a shoe box on his table. they were $1.00  or two for $1.50 If I recall correctly I bought a couple from him each show. When the box got low he would reach under the table and grab a handful and fill the shoe box. They were new old stock. I still have a couple left. Never paid attention to the buckles back then and when people started stripping liners I checked my tool chest in the basement and dug out the straps I had left. Two are green buckle. 

6 hours ago, doyler said:

Found this in 2013 Strap and all parts were intact. 

image.png.7e8857be7bd13cec68eef5ea75a81447.png

image.png.dec489a88b826652740b9e1cc8daee23.png

Well what are you waiting for Doyler? Break that bad boy apart. I call sweatband! 

LOL. Nice liner

Z

Holy Cow! back in 90’s friend had many original unopened boxes of WWII liners, had some NOS buckles, nape straps and sweat bands,last complete set left .

A938110F-4F72-4320-BD6D-FF9E7FE1A3B3.jpeg

I remember back in the middle- late 1990's at the Allentown, Pa. gunshow, there was a dealer with NOS helmet liner parts all bundled up for sale.

I remember thinking who wants that common stuff? Of course I was a big TR fan back then.

Ken

15 minutes ago, 6th.MG.BN said:

I remember back in the middle- late 1990's at the Allentown, Pa. gunshow, there was a dealer with NOS helmet liner parts all bundled up for sale.

I remember thinking who wants that common stuff? Of course I was a big TR fan back then.

Ken

Good old Allentown. I know it will. Lived in Kutztown for a tic. To complete an unissued Schlueter and Westinghouse set... I had to purchase an unissued sweatband and nape but even that was just $75 together. The unissued front seam shell was less than the OP leather liner strap that started this thread. Was boring my GF w this conversation last night. LOL. She’s a good sport. 

An M1 and liner are incomplete in my opinion without the strap, I can’t bear to have mine without them. 

A necessary piece to complete any setup !