Help with Jump Wings Para oval

i looked everywhere but couldn't find this oval.

The wings are marked 3G.

What do you guys and gals think?

Thank you in advance.

thumbnail_20210205_133858.jpg

thumbnail_20210205_133911.jpg

I know that at one time, this oval was being worn by the cadre at the Airborne School at Fort Benning, GA. I believe that they went to the 507th AIR oval in the mid to late 1980's. I have also seen earlier examples of this oval being used by airborne elements of the 36th Division Texas National Guard. Dick Wilson ought to be able to provide more information when he sees this thread.

Allan

Thank you very much!

I am looking forward to more input.

Would like to see a picture of it being worn on headgear.

That's where the Black Hats wore their wings. When I was there in 1985, the Black Hats wore GOLD wings. The wings were brass with the black subdued finish removed and then highly polished.

Allan

Allan H is correct. The blue oval was worn by the Jump School detail when I went in 1976. I don't remember the polished gold wings.

Mike

Back in the 1960's -1970's This was known as the INFANTRY School Oval. It was worn by the Airborne Department which included Ground, Tower and Jump week cadres plus both Jumpmaster and Pathfinder school cadres. It was also worn by those instructors on jump status in the Ranger Department. I was a Ranger Instructor 1971-1974 and the light blue Infantry School oval is what we wore. Also anyone else assigned to Fort Benning who was on jump status correctly wore the light blue oval behind their jump wings. Allan is correct about the black hats in the Airborne School as they also wore the light blue oval behind highly polished jump wings. Most of the Airborne School Instructors were master parachutists, but a few had senior wings like the one below.

IMG_1755.jpeg.71cceff029b56a5e927281abc1a0e8dd.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

Any jump qualified trooper at the Infantry School serving in an Airborne billet would have worn the oval. Any soldier who didn't meet the requirements for earning the Senior or Master Parachutist badge would wear the basic wing.

A misconception out there is that many think that once a soldier has made the required number of jumps, they automatically graduate to the higher grade of wing. This is NOT the case. In order to make Senior or Master, you have to have graduated from the Jumpmaster course which is NOT an automatic thing. First, you have to earn a slot to the course, and then you have to graduate. 

I had a trooper  that worked for me once that had over 100 jumps. He had a pathfinder badge, air assault wings and was ranger qualified as well. The guy had well over 100 jumps, but only wore basic parachute wings. It wasn't for a lack of trying. He had "flunked" out of jumpmaster school at least three times. He explained to me that there was some bad blood between him and one of the instructors and the instructor would fail him each time he showed up. There is no appeals process. Once you are booted, you go home and apply again. I asked him if he would ever make Master, and he said that unless the instructor retired or got transferred, he was wasting a slot to try to go back and earn the wings.

Allan

I wonder if he ever got the star and wreath?

I tend to find,whether it be in the military or the civilian job force, there is always one POS that makes life difficult.

Thank you very much for your informative responses.

37 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

I wonder if he ever got the star and wreath?

I tend to find, whether it be in the military or the civilian job force, there is always one POS that makes life difficult.

Thank you very much for your informative responses.

I am rather certain that he never got the star and wreath, though I do not know this for a fact. He had already been booted from the course at least three times. The school slots are coveted and very competitive to get troops into them. The powers that be are not likely to send a guy back over and over again when they could send another who had a chance of graduating. 

I have also seen it in schools that I have attended. If an instructor doesn't like you, they can force you to quit, or can boot you for whatever offense they deemed you to have committed. Life isn't fair.

Allan

6 hours ago, Allan H. said:

Any jump qualified trooper at the Infantry School serving in an Airborne billet would have worn the oval. Any soldier who didn't meet the requirements for earning the Senior or Master Parachutist badge would wear the basic wing.

Correct. The parachute background oval represents the Airborne unit to which the individual wearing it is assigned. The level of jump wings (basic, senior or master) represents individual experience and qualifications. Allan is also correct that jumpmaster school is a real hurdle. I have known many who attempted it and for one reason or another failed. JMPI or Jumpmaster Personnel Inspection eliminates a lot. The JMPI test calls for inspecting 3 jumpers rigged in various parachute gear, weapons and equipment containers in 3 minutes.  The Jumpmaster candidate must call out any and all deficiencies to the grader. Most jumpers in the test will have several deficiencies purposely mis-rigged. The candidate is up against time some tend to rush and miss critical (fatal) mistakes. Others stress out, take too long and run out of time. Incorrect Actions in the aircraft can also get one eliminated. Then there are also numerous written tests on nomenclature, types of jump aircraft, Departure Airfield procedures and Drop zone identification markings, etc, etc. The whole purpose is to insure that only the highest quality paratroopers become Jumpmasters, because as the saying goes, " The sky, even more than the sea, is unforgiving of even the slightest mistake".   AIRBORNE!

21 hours ago, Allan H. said:

A misconception out there is that many think that once a soldier has made the required number of jumps, they automatically graduate to the higher grade of wing. This is NOT the case. In order to make Senior or Master, you have to have graduated from the Jumpmaster course which is NOT an automatic thing. First, you have to earn a slot to the course, and then you have to graduate. 

I had a trooper  that worked for me once that had over 100 jumps. He had a pathfinder badge, air assault wings and was ranger qualified as well. The guy had well over 100 jumps, but only wore basic parachute wings. It wasn't for a lack of trying. He had "flunked" out of jumpmaster school at least three times. He explained to me that there was some bad blood between him and one of the instructors and the instructor would fail him each time he showed up. There is no appeals process. Once you are booted, you go home and apply again. I asked him if he would ever make Master, and he said that unless the instructor retired or got transferred, he was wasting a slot to try to go back and earn the wings.

Allan

I agree with AH and TC. To add, that if this trooper with 100 jumps did graduate from JM school, he would need to serve as a Jumpmaster for some number of jumps to qualify for Senior or Master Wings. Without looking, I don't remember how many JM jumps were required for each level of wing.

Basic Jump wings - Successfully make 5 jumps from an aircraft while in flight (usually 1 jump with combat equipment) or 1 actual combat jump

Senior  Jump wings - Served 24 months or two years on jump status, Graduate of JM Course and a minimum of 30 parachute jumps including 15 combat equipment jumps, two night jumps (at least one as JM) and 2 mass tactical jumps.

MASTER Parachutist: Served at least 36 months on jump status. Participated in a minimum of 65 jumps to include 25 jumps with combat equipment; 4 night jumps, one of which is as a jumpmaster of a stick; five mass tactical jumps which culminate in an airborne assault problem with a unit equivalent to a battalion or  larger, a separate company/battery, or organic staff of a regiment size or larger; and graduated from the Jumpmaster Course.

Senior and Master Parachutist nominees must also pass a board review that examines the credentials and conduct of the candidate.

Very informative-thank you all!

It's nice to know there are some descent folks out there willing to share their knowledge with a others.

• 1 month later...

I decided to make this oval  right.I acquired a pair subdued  Master Airborne wings, had my buddy strip the paint off with his secret Alien Blood from work, and Viola!

After a vinegar soak, steel chore boy rub and semi chrome polish all I need now is a proper black hat.

AIRBORNE!

thumbnail_73068198_20210331_075336_8388831.jpg

triplecanopy

Looks like you now have a set of Airborne Instructor wings. They appear to have a gold or brass color. Those are the type worn by the "Black Hats" at jump school.

BTW, What is the alien blood formula? I need to try that myself.  Looking good!

triplecanopy

There used to be a product called KUTZIT that would strip the chrome off of a trailer hitch ball. I don't know if it is still around or not, but I am pretty sure that is something like his alien blood.  Oh well. Thanks

I finally found a plain black hat for my display/collection.

Not as easy as you would think.

If anyone has access to a new, authentic, USA made "black hat" please pm me.

I hope this brings back happy memories to all of their time in Jump School..LOL

thumbnail_710332304_20210407_104045_4194527.jpg

Google "Black Patrol Cap" and you will find a number of great examples of caps similar to what was worn by the instructors at the Airborne School.

Allan