American Red Cross POW Food Package

M1A1-1944

Original ARC Prisoner of War food package #10 dated 5-44. I’d like to track down original items that would have been included if anyone has a list.  Thanks,

Ron

43962AD0-74B2-4C64-B3D7-C9382EBCFC2D.jpeg

C692B46E-42DC-4281-8404-92C2B892E73F.jpeg

00926611-58F1-4D05-9BD4-B5F18A3F7792.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question on my part... is this parcel unopened with the contents still inside?  Or has it just had the binding retied?

I am sitting here contemplating having liver paste on biscuits for lunch with raisings for desert.

It’s empty.  I purchased it out of Belgium and the tie was on it when I obtained it.  I’m assuming it was actually delivered to and opened by a POW, not just a surplus box found somewhere in the States.   I don’t think they were issued with a string tied, probably added by somebody to keep the flaps closed. Yeah, if I was a POW and unless I was starving, I’m trading that liver paste for something else 🤢

That box is a great piece.  I can’t imagine too many survived.  In a Red Cross parcel, its liver paste.  In an upscale restaurant its liver pâté.

• 1 month later...

I think liver paste is just some "Braunschweiger" (liverwurst)  in a non-german sounding marketing package.  Not bad on a sandwich with butter & onions...