Guadalcanal '1' patch

Samson Arnett

Samson Arnett

Sorry for the blurry photo, need help IDing this patch I saw at the milsurp store. It's a subdued green and black, diamond shaped, says Guadalcanal inside of a big number one. There are stars in a pattern that kind of remind me of the Australian and New Zealand flags. 

4EBC8346-1437-4BBD-902E-98B53273B551.jpeg

1st Marine Division but marines haven't worn unit patches since at least the '50's so unofficial or collector patch. Some of those other patches look interesting however.

Army personnel did wear USMC divisional patches as a FWTS “combat” patch if they were attached to a USMC unit in Iraq/Afghanistan during OEF/OIF.

I served with an Army Arabic interrogator who was in the Marines during the first Gulf War.  He wore a First Marine Division combat patch on his Army uniform.

Mr. Arnett: This is a woodlands subdued 1st MarDiv battle blaze or shoulder patch. As others have already pointed out, they were in fact worn by active duty personnel well after their wear was officially discontinued by the  USMC in 1947. 

The above group of photos are a sampling of just the 1st Mar Div alone worn by Ex Marines now serving in the Army in the 1950s and 60s, these being for service in either WWII or Korea,  Some into the early 80s for Vietnam, the patch of course will be worn in subdued form starting in the late 1960s on fatigue items, here at this date and into the 1990s will be for Vietnam, and earlier still The Korean War if seen on some in the 70s.

Here's a few more recent examples of uniforms from the OEF/OIF era with USMC divisional patches on them. These both have 2nd Marine Division patches on them, but 1st Marine Division patches are also sometimes encountered. Both of the examples shown are theatre-made, though US made examples can be found and also in ACU/Multicam subdued variations.

USMF1.jpg

DSC_8920.JPG

DSC_8923.JPG

On 2/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, 12thengr said:

1st Marine Division but marines haven't worn unit patches since at least the '50's so unofficial or collector patch. Some of those other patches look interesting however.

I totally agree, there are at least three other cut-edge patches in that box that I would look at first, starting with that MAC artillery.  Looks like there is another MAC patch further down as well.   

• 4 weeks later...