New member from Pensacola Florida

Samson Arnett

Samson Arnett

Hey there! I'm Samson, I'm 18. I live in Pensacola, often regarded as the cradle of Naval aviation. My father is a retired Lieutenant Commander. My girlfriend's father is a retired CWO5, and her grandfather served on the USS George Washington Polaris sub. With all these connections to the Navy, one would think that I intend to go into it. However, I am more interested in the Army. I get seasick within seconds on a boat of any size, and I can't imagine I'd do well on a plane. Furthermore, I have a vested interest in tanks and other armored/heavy ground vehicles. 

I'm looking at going to school at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, as they'll accept my Florida scholarship dollars, and they have an Army ROTC. I think I'll study mechanical engineering. After college I'd like to serve in the Army, hopefully working closely with armor. 

Unfortunately, my mother doesn't support my military aspirations. She has said she will no longer support me once I enter the Army. I've accepted it I guess.

Anyway, here I am. There's lots of good antique stores in my city to find militaria items, and one or two milsurp stores. Hoping to start posting what I've got! 

Welcome and Go Army! My Grampa was a retired CWO2 in the USCG. My Sister and I would love to go to Pensacola one time. You can get on the base to get to the shore which overlooks the area where the original fort was. Sis is the archivist for a British family, and it is one of that family who was the Second Governor of West Florida, and he resided in the old fort. He was buried along one of the walls, too, so his grave is now under the ocean. However, we'd love to go there, as it was Sarah's friend's dear wish to have roses thrown into the ocean at the spot. :) 

Capt%20John%20Eliot%20Banner.jpg

So, as far as Army . . .what do you like to collect or are particularly interested in? 

Hope you have fun on here and feel free to post! 

Elizabeth

Samson Arnett
8 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Welcome and Go Army! My Grampa was a retired CWO2 in the USCG. My Sister and I would love to go to Pensacola one time. You can get on the base to get to the shore which overlooks the area where the original fort was. Sis is the archivist for a British family, and it is one of that family who was the Second Governor of West Florida, and he resided in the old fort. He was buried along one of the walls, too, so his grave is now under the ocean. However, we'd love to go there, as it was Sarah's friend's dear wish to have roses thrown into the ocean at the spot. :) 

Capt%20John%20Eliot%20Banner.jpg

So, as far as Army . . .what do you like to collect or are particularly interested in? 

Hope you have fun on here and feel free to post! 

Elizabeth

Cool to see someone with connections to Pensacola! Feels like kind of a nowhere-town.

In terms of collecting, I'm mostly interested in unit insignia and decorations/medals. I like to browse all kinds of things at the milsurp store and the other shops, but I look mostly for medals and infantry insignia. I love World War II era items, and will be getting my first canteen from 1944 soon:-) 

• 4 weeks later...
Kurt Barickman

Welcome, I get to your neck of the woods often although I live in Minnesota. We have a daughter who lives in the FWB/Niceville area in fact driving there now . Love your downtown and especially the Pensacola brewery!

Kurt

ps I am a former squid but never stationed in Pensacola.

vostoktrading

Hi Samson, Welcome to the Forum.

I can relate to what you're talking about with the sea sickness thing. I come from a nautical family too. My dad was a sea captain on sailing ships. When I was a kid I had to come along on countless trips and I was sick as a dog every time (I crossed the line the first time when I was 18 months old). My brothers and my sister seemed to do OK. Years later I discovered Bonine for motion sickness (Meclizine). It worked wonders for me the first time I used it for a trip I took on a French destroyer out of Tahiti. We had heavy weather for 4 days and I never got sick. Had to hang on the rails much of the time it was so rough, never felt queezy, even when I smelled the exhaust (which would normally guarantee sea sickness). Wish I knew about it when I was younger, might have enjoyed my childhood more.

Good luck with collecting. Can't go wrong collecting WW2 US patches!