Big dollar for a canteen 1941

mdk0911

vintageproductions

Isn't there a thread someplace on the USMF about how rare the 1941 dated canteens are?

I believe it even broke down how many were made.

I remember looking at it as one sold in the $800.00 range sometime within the last year.

My guess is the way the name is stenciled across the canteen, Marines often marked their equipment in these block letter stamps. I cant read the name however, and personally would want to check ancestry muster rolls to assure the name matches a Marine in early WWII. Would be best if the name was uncommon and included first and middle initial. 

If something is considered "rare" there are a certain number of people who just have to have it even if later it's found not to be rare at all. Not saying this is that. It's a conquering thing - a "win". I've watched baseball cards, comic books, and other once-pricey collectibles dribble to disinterest over the years. The high end will always be the high end but the overall may lower. I think the current generation and those coming might not have the passion we do. I'm at the cap of my militaria conquering.

Here's a couple threads that mention the 1941 canteens. If I understand correctly, fewer canteens were made in 1941 because the supplies of surplus WWI canteens were still being drawn from? The third thread also mentions that AGM Co. was the only manufacturer of canteens in 1941.

Edit: So apparently there's a decent amount of info on these 1941 canteens on the Forum. The cups and covers aren't as sought after as the canteens. The particular listing above being a '41 set and USMC certainly didn't hurt its value.

Ah okay, thanks for the information. I can understand somewhat the price. To an extent. Rare stuff is usually worth more. 

I've never heard that comment on the rivets, anybody know why a Marine would do that? And yes, I know it's an Army cover but Marines would use whatever was handy if they needed it, but the Army covers I've had seemed pretty solid.

I believe the condition of the canteen as well as the cover and cup kept it at that $685 price.  I have seen a fair number of 1941 dated canteens and, condition wise, that has got to be the worse.

CG

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the party but the price is due to the difficulty finding a 1941 canteen. Can anyone tell me where I can find one in good but used condition for let's say $400 or less? I very rarely see one come up for sale. BTW I'm not in the market for one - just commenting. 

• 1 year later...