Marine Couple...Sweetheart or Mother?

Brig

Picked up this WWII portrait...was listed as a boyfriend/girlfriend, but I don't think so. I think it may actually be a mother/son combo based on the age difference. Opinions?

Woman appears to be wearing a class or Marine Corps ring.

s-l1600 (15).jpg

s-l1600 (14).jpg

Ring.jpg

She looks way too young to be his mother.

Good thing she didn’t hear you ask the question.

But maybe he is her father?😂

She just doesn't look that young to me...it even appears she has a tuft of graying hair poking out from the corner of her cap

I'd lean towards the guess of it being his Mother. :)

Cool that she put the Marine patch and insignia on her normal dress!

8 minutes ago, stratasfan said:

Cool that she put the Marine patch and insignia on her normal dress!

That's the USMCWR seersucker dress:

9.jpg

Oh, so she's in the USMC? That's even cooler! Maybe then I'd lean to the sweetheart. She does look a little older, but he may look super young for his age, too. Boy . . . really cool picture! Any markings on the back?

No markings

Age cap was 35 for enlisted, 49 for officers to join. So not beyond possible if she had a son young.

Of course, prior service might have also nullified the age cap or extended it, as it does now. However, as there were only around 300 WMs in WWI, it's highly unlikely she was one of them.

I think Sweetheart.  I don't think a mother, much less a woman Marine mother would let her son spoon her and hold her hands like that in such an intimate fashion.  Just imagine if you will holding your mother's hands like that.  On second thought, don't.  Too creepy to imagine her being his mother.  Yes, his sweetheart might look a tad older than him but I'm thinking a young Marine might easily go for that, especially if it's just a fling.  If that's his mother then I think they have a REALLY close relationship.