WWI Town & County service medals

Sumserbrown

1 hour ago, JimmyBerry2013 said:

Dennis,

I know you live in Ohio so wondered if you know type for Cambridge Ohio or straitsville

thanks

jim

Jim,

Sorry, I do not know.  I have never found or even seen either of them unfortunately.

Dennis

Sumserbrown
On 7/26/2021 at 11:48 PM, JimmyBerry2013 said:

I finally got my list in the mail to you hope it arrives shortly.  

Hi Jim,

many thanks for sending the file, it arrived safely with me today. There is a huge amount of information in there so it is going to take some time to look through this and then come back to you with some questions but initial thoughts are:

1/ what numbering system are you using for the medal types? It is not Small so is it maybe Planck?

2/ Do you have a key with all of the abbreviations and acronyms spelt out as I am unfamiliar with many of them (both medal manufacturers and medal issuing bodies)

3/ Is there a reason for not listing the ribbons and brooch fittings for the medals?

Could I also please send you some money to at least cover the cost of photocopying and postage?

many thanks and best wishes

Rob

Sumserbrown
On 7/26/2021 at 11:48 PM, JimmyBerry2013 said:

I finally got my list in the mail to you hope it arrives shortly.  

Hi Jim,

looking at your (very extensive) list I couldn't find this medal in there but maybe it is under another section. It was sold to me as coming from Crane County, Texas and indeed I can't find another Crane Co in the US so I assume this is correct. Do you have any information about it and is it mentioned in any of the other books (I only have Small)?

thanks

Rob

484 obverse.JPG

484 reverse.JPG

Sumserbrown
1 hour ago, Wharfmaster said:

Could this be the Crane Company ?

W

That's a good suggestion, probably more likely than (the very rural and sparsely populated) Crane County Texas. Do you know where the Crane Company is/was located?

Rob

Wharfmaster
36 minutes ago, Sumserbrown said:

That's a good suggestion, probably more likely than (the very rural and sparsely populated) Crane County Texas. Do you know where the Crane Company is/was located?

Rob

The Crane Co. was/is located in Chicago.

W

The lack of the word, “The” in front of “Crane Co.” makes think it’s presented by “Crane County” rather than “The Crane Company”

Pretty sure it is Crane Company.  Even today the company does not use the article "the" in its name.  Crane Co. built mortars for the war effort, among other things (America's Munitions, multiple entries).  USN, War (as in War Department) and E.F.C. (Emergency Fleet Corporation) were their main wartime customers.  The 6-month time periods of the service bars are typical of wartime manufacturers' service awards.  I've seen dozens of these badges over the year which is probably unsupportable as an award for Crane County, TX that had a historic population of 37 in the 1920 census.  

Dennis

Sumserbrown
1 hour ago, bertmedals said:

Pretty sure it is Crane Company.  Even today the company does not use the article "the" in its name.  Crane Co. built mortars for the war effort, among other things (America's Munitions, multiple entries).  USN, War (as in War Department) and E.F.C. (Emergency Fleet Corporation) were their main wartime customers.  The 6-month time periods of the service bars are typical of wartime manufacturers' service awards.  I've seen dozens of these badges over the year which is probably unsupportable as an award for Crane County, TX that had a historic population of 37 in the 1920 census.  

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, based on the replies from you and WharfMaster I am now strongly believing like you that this medal was issued by Crane Company and not Crane County. 

best

Rob

From the 1920 Census:

Name: John Ashcroft

Birth Year: abt 1878

Birthplace: England

Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 30, Cook (Chicago), Illinois

Street: Princeton Ave

House Number: 5319

Residence Date:1920

Race: White

Immigration Year: 1910

Relation to Head of House: Head

Marital Status: Married

Spouse's Name: Emma Ashcroft

Father's Birthplace: England

Mother's Birthplace: England

Native Tongue: English

Able to Speak English: Yes

Employment Field: Wage or Salary

Home Owned or Rented: Rented

Naturalization Status: Papers Submitted

Attended School: No

Able to read: Yes

Able to Write: Yes

Sumserbrown
10 hours ago, FlyNavy02 said:

From the 1920 Census:

Name: John Ashcroft

Birth Year: abt 1878

Birthplace: England

Home in 1920: Chicago Ward 30, Cook (Chicago), Illinois

Street: Princeton Ave

House Number: 5319

Residence Date:1920

Race: White

Immigration Year: 1910

Relation to Head of House: Head

Marital Status: Married

Spouse's Name: Emma Ashcroft

Father's Birthplace: England

Mother's Birthplace: England

Native Tongue: English

Able to Speak English: Yes

Employment Field: Wage or Salary

Home Owned or Rented: Rented

Naturalization Status: Papers Submitted

Attended School: No

Able to read: Yes

Able to Write: Yes

Thanks very much for doing the research, very interesting.

Rob

collectsmedals

This group in my collection was awarded to Shipfitter Reginald James Johnson and includes a World War I Victory Medal with a Grand Fleet bar and a medal from the Town of Webster which is in Central New York just East of Rochester. He served on the U.S.S. Florida and was present at the surrender of the German Fleet. Reginald is number 3 in the group photograph.

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Johnson Reginald J.jpg

Johnson Reginald town ser rec.jpg

JimmyBerry2013
On 8/5/2021 at 11:07 AM, Sumserbrown said:

Rob

JimmyBerry2013
1 hour ago, collectsmedals said:

This group in my collection was awarded to Shipfitter Reginald James Johnson and includes a World War I Victory Medal with a Grand Fleet bar and a medal from the Town of Webster which is in Central New York just East of Rochester. He served on the U.S.S. Florida and was present at the surrender of the German Fleet. Reginald is number 3 in the group photograph.

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Johnson Reginald J.jpg

JimmyBerry2013

Webster is a very small town population in 1920 was 1,247 so really rare medal especially with other documents.

Sumserbrown
6 hours ago, collectsmedals said:

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Johnson Reginald J.jpg

That's a very nice group, especially with the photographs.

Rob

collectsmedals
10 hours ago, JimmyBerry2013 said:

Webster is a very small town population in 1920 was 1,247 so really rare medal especially with other documents.

5 hours ago, Sumserbrown said:

That's a very nice group, especially with the photographs.

Thank you for the information and kind comments. The only items actually in my possession are the ones shown in the first three photographs; which are the two medals, the individual photograph, the  Christmas Card, and the discharge summary. The group photograph and the Town of Webster service summary I found online along with some other documents which I didn't post.

Sumserbrown
1 hour ago, collectsmedals said:

Thank you for the information and kind comments. The only items actually in my possession are the ones shown in the first three photographs; which are the two medals, the individual photograph, the  Christmas Card, and the discharge summary. The group photograph and the Town of Webster service summary I found online along with some other documents which I didn't post.

I have done some research on a group of medals and photo that I bought recently. I went onto Ancestry to look the man up and in doing so found a close relative, whom I then contacted directly. I was able to send them a picture of the medals and a copy of the photo of their relative in uniform and in return they gave me more information about the man in his later life and copies of pictures of him as an older man. I think both of us found this interesting and enriching, but I haven't always had such a positive response when contacting relatives on Ancestry.

Rob

• 8 months later...
Sumserbrown

Hi everyone,

many of the Town and County medals I see are are un-named, but occasionally I come across those where someone (either the veteran or maybe a family member) has tried to scratch in their name. Usually I can read or guess the name, but I am struggling with this one I picked up recently one that was issued by Tompkins, NY. Can anyone help here and let me know what you think it says?

thanks in advance

Rob

604 obverse.JPG

604 reverse.JPG

604 name.JPG

Sumserbrown

Hi all,

I recently picked up this US WWI Town and County medal for the village of Whitesborough, NY. It is not mentioned in Small's book, so could one of you please have a look in Planck or Lipps to see what information is know about it, especially what sort of ribbon it should have?

From what I can see, there were 3038 people in the village on the 1920 census, so I estimate 125 or so were issued if I go by Small's usual estimates.

thanks in advance

Rob

555 obverse.JPG

555 reverse.JPG

32 minutes ago, Sumserbrown said:

Hi all,

I recently picked up this US WWI Town and County medal for the village of Whitesborough, NY. It is not mentioned in Small's book, so could one of you please have a look in Planck or Lipps to see what information is know about it, especially what sort of ribbon it should have?

From what I can see, there were 3038 people in the village on the 1920 census, so I estimate 125 or so were issued if I go by Small's usual estimates.

thanks in advance

Rob

555 obverse.JPG

555 reverse.JPG

Rob,

Planck lists it as "Whitesboro" NY.  The description says it has a red, white & blue satin ribbon and a split brooch.  Planck also states this design was used only by Whitesborough.

Dennis

Sumserbrown
1 hour ago, bertmedals said:

Rob,

Planck lists it as "Whitesboro" NY.  The description says it has a red, white & blue satin ribbon and a split brooch.  Planck also states this design was used only by Whitesborough.

Dennis

many thanks Dennis!

Rob

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 10:28 PM, bertmedals said:

Rob,

I do not know of a book that covers WW2 US town and county medals.  Andrew Lipps' "A Guide to Local Issue U. S. Service & Victory Medals with Values" (2nd Edition) does have some of the WW2 medals listed as well as some from the Spanish-American War, Mexican Border Service and the Korean War.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Do you know if there is an open thread already on the USMF for the WW2 State, County, city and Town medals? I did have a quick look but sometimes a search on the site can miss something if you don't have the right keywords - I thought I would just go ahead and ask someone who has been on the site a lot longer than me. If there isn't a page already, I will open one up.

best wishes

Rob