INDIAN WAR APPRECIATION

Hi folks,  In a recent thread, a few members remarked that there is little interest or comments on their Indian War threads.  I just wanted to take a couple of minutes to say THANK YOU for all of you who post your Indian War relics and other pre-WWI items.  I greatly enjoy seeing them and return to threads to reread them. I should comment more, but for the most part, I am still learning about the items, especially field gear and weapons.  So I encourage you to keep posting! 

I don't think I have a single item from this period except maybe a couple of buttons.  But it's not to lack of interest.  Mainly lack of knowledge.  Please post away if anyone has items to share.  I'd love to learn more about them.

Mikie

Thanks Beast and Mikie

I hope this can keep going and there will be more posted on this era.

Here is a link to my Library, mostly IW, and mostly first editions, but with some other interests of mine thrown in, pretty eclectic 😁

https://pbase.com/45govt/books

Hello Dunmore1774,

I hope there is some interest in that area as well.

Thanks

Don

On 2/3/2021 at 11:35 AM, dunmore1774 said:

I wish we had more on the Indian Wars of the 1790s :)

Does a 1790's Belgian fowler converted to an Indian trade rifle then converted over the years count?

Wow! incredible display bosshark! 

I guess on another similar not, to collectors of Indian Wars items, what made you interested in collecting Indian Wars items in particular? Definitely a "niche" part of military collecting in general, so I would love to hear you reasoning!

1 hour ago, huntssurplus said:

Wow! incredible display bosshark! 

I guess on another similar not, to collectors of Indian Wars items, what made you interested in collecting Indian Wars items in particular? Definitely a "niche" part of military collecting in general, so I would love to hear you reasoning!

Hi, I collect from the Civil War through WW1 I really the the history and mostly uniforms and  hats, go to Displays  on forum to see most of the collection. Thanks

Here is my contribution, Cavalry dress uniform with saddle. A whole troop or regiment in their dress uniforms would have been quite an impressive sight with those yellow facings and helmet plumes. 

Light cavalry sabre, patterns 1885 carbine sling, sabre belt, sabre knot and sabre attachment. 1884 goatskin gauntlets, pattern 1881 dress helmet.

Model 1874 McClellan saddle.

Kurt.

IMG_4376abcd.jpg.ca09deec3157f6e3b56f32185bf5f97d.jpg

9 hours ago, Dragoon said:

A whole troop or regiment in their dress uniforms would have been quite an impressive sight with those yellow facings and helmet plumes. 

Something like this

Troop D 6th Cav1.jpg

Yes indeed. Sadly we will have to use our imagination to picture the vibrancy of the yellow and blue. Great photo, thanks for sharing it.

On 2/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, 45govt said:

Hello

Here is another piece that I had not photographed before.

2nd cast buckle and blue Infantry edge.jpg

45govt, thanks for posting. What makes this so rare?

Hello Beast

the colored edges are pretty rare, there were other colors, red, yellow or gold, and blue, this was the first I had seen for sale in the years I have been collecting.

It also has the second model 1882 cast buckle.

8 hours ago, 45govt said:

Hello Beast

the colored edges are pretty rare, there were other colors, red, yellow or gold, and blue, this was the first I had seen for sale in the years I have been collecting.

It also has the second model 1882 cast buckle.

45govt, Thank you for the response.  I've never seen, or at least noticed, these color edges before.  Were they unique to a particular manufacturer?  Also, was the edging called for in the specs?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Beast

These particular belts were all made by, at first, the Gilbert Loom company on looms designed by Capt. Anson Mills, Mills eventually, after the contract with Gilbert expired bought 10 of the looms and continued the manufacture for the Army.

The stamped US belt plates, Mills design, were contracted to Winchester, the cast plates were made at the arsenal and designed by various officers at the ordnance department.

The Colored edges or selvages were authorized by Sherman Dec. 7th 1880. Gilbert had trouble with finding the right colors so were probably phased out fairly quickly as there are so few seen.

Don