A-2 flight jacket with 384FS insignia...

MARTINRF

I have owned this well-worn jacket for many, many years - no name tag has ever been on it and the insignia has been hand-painted directly on to the leather - but have recently come across several period photos of both P-51 and P-38 aircraft populating this fighter squadron - I had thought it only used the P-47, for some reason...were there often materiel changes made to this, or many other, fighter squadrons serving out of the UK?...(8{

384FS_20210202_121852_790.jpg

384FS_20210202_121934_994.jpg

384FS_20210202_122607_822.jpg

cool old jacket!

per the American Air Museum, the 384th flew 38s and 51s...no mention of P-47s...squadrons did change aircraft types..it was a common occurrence, as missions changed or better aircraft became available..

jacket is a civilian copy, could be private purchase, as Star made A-2s for the government, but not this jacket...

Not a patch guy, others might chime in on the painting, but I am guessing it is a postwar addition

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/unit/992

Can't really add much on the insignia but out of curiosity does this jacket have side pockets? Kinda looks like it in the pics. The pockets are significantly larger than the wartime examples making them more practical. My guess is this is a 50s "sporting" jacket made by the wartime contractor as Phantom said. Really cool but that adds some curiosity to the insignia - likely a tribute jacket. Pretty neat!

...yep, two side pockets - with kersey linings - behind the patch pockets, that are also lined...has had a hard life - lots of inside fading, dirty pocket linings, frayed knit-cuffs and broken brass front zipper - but I like it all the same...(8{

384FS_20210202_213802_958.jpg

384FS_20210202_213852_123.jpg

384FS_20210202_214158_682.jpg

384FS_20210202_214004_672.jpg

384FS_20210202_213926_145.jpg

384FS_20210202_214040_450.jpg

I can't vouch for the painting, more learned Forum members can certainly opine on that.  However I do believe that the jacket has a chance to be wartime.  Quite a few flyers acquired their flight jackets via private purchase, as the contract A-2's could be difficult to obtain at times. As far as the "hand warmer" side pockets go they were available in the 40's on civilian and/or private purchase jackets.  The side pocket was one of the changes from the B-10 to the B-15 jackets.  The side pockets seem to have been determined to be more practical. All flight jackets from the B-15 on have side slash pockets. Not saying your jacket is definitely WWII vintage, just that I believe that there is a chance that it is.  I have several private purchase wartime leather jackets, named and attributed, one with the hand warmer pockets.

21 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I have several private purchase wartime leather jackets, named and attributed, one with the hand warmer pockets.

Scarecrow, Do you have any pics of your private purchase jackets? Maybe we can start a thread about those.

Dave

No doubt PP jackets are a thing...the bane is proving it.......unless there is provenance, it is often impossible to prove if a jacket is a true service worn jacket or a 1940s period jacket 

A thread on true private purchase jackets would be great...

I would say that I don’t think the existence of side pockets in other 40s jackets is the issue. 
The epaulet style, pocket size and shape, collar shape, liner, zipper, tightly rationed horse hide during the war, among other things point to this as a 1950s or later jacket. To me the insignia with its smudged blue “paint” into the white field doesn’t have the appearance of a WWII painted example. 
I am open to evidence this is from the war but I am not open to assuming it could be just because someone can’t prove it isn’t. 
I say let’s start another thread on PP jackets. 

6 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Scarecrow, Do you have any pics of your private purchase jackets? Maybe we can start a thread about those.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I don't believe I have any current photos but would be more than happy to take some snaps. I'll try and take some this weekend. I think a thread on PP jackets is a great idea.  Any thoughts on starting one?

Paul (aka Scarecrow)

7 hours ago, dmar836 said:

I started one but didn’t yet post the only PP jacket I have. Will do eventually. 

Dave

Hi Dave,

Found the thread.  Will try and take some photos this weekend and post on that thread.  Thanks.

Paul