AEF arm patch

Gunner 87

Hello. Can any member identify the arm patch belonging to this soldier who served with HQ Company, 326th Infantry Regiment, 163rd Infantry Brigade, 82nd Division, American Expeditionary Force during WW1. 

Many thanks. Gunner 87.

Admin, I incorrectly posted this on new member introductions earlier so please delete that topic if it contravenes the rules. 

AEF.png

On 2/1/2021 at 10:24 PM, mortaydc60 said:

Look like the Greek God Mercury,perhaps involved with messages/signal.

Mort 

Mort, thanks for the suggestion. I have had advice the badge resembles the One Pound Cannon, and that each Infantry Regiment had three assigned to their HQ Company's which is where our guy served. Appreciate your help. Gunner 87

One Pound Cannon.png

Apparently it was designed as an anti tank weapon but was not fit for purpose and, as a result, used to deal with German machine gun posts.

Looking at the picture provided aren't they French troops, again was not aware this armament was in US inventory. Thanks again.

Mort

37mm M1916 mounted on a tripod or wheels.  US adoption of the French "Canon d'Infanterie de 37 modèle 1916 TRP". Intended for direct infantry support against gun positions and similar targets (machine guns, light artillery that was frequently brought forward).  Not particularly effective -- field artillery was better against the intended targets.  A version of the gun was used in some FT-17 light tanks.  Some were manufactured in the US and 300 or so shipped to the AEF (according to Canfield's book).  The rest we got from the French.

Here is a very famous photo of the gun in AEF use on a tripod.

1024px-US23rdInfantry37mmGunInActionFrance1918-ARC531005.gif

On 2/4/2021 at 2:15 AM, bertmedals said:

37mm M1916 mounted on a tripod or wheels.  US adoption of the French "Canon d'Infanterie de 37 modèle 1916 TRP". Intended for direct infantry support against gun positions and similar targets (machine guns, light artillery that was frequently brought forward).  Not particularly effective -- field artillery was better against the intended targets.  A version of the gun was used in some FT-17 light tanks.  Some were manufactured in the US and 300 or so shipped to the AEF (according to Canfield's book).  The rest we got from the French.

Here is a very famous photo of the gun in AEF use on a tripod.

1024px-US23rdInfantry37mmGunInActionFrance1918-ARC531005.gif

Thanks Dennis, that's a fantastic photograph. I'm very confident the patch was issued to HQ Company troops who were trained on the 37mm. I am also sure that as the weapon was relatively short lived with the US and the role a speciality is the reason for not finding the badge online. The 82nd Division museum has been contacted and I will update this thread if they provide any further information.