Questions on Dating 60th Regiment Helmet

fight

I've got a few questions on this helmet. It is a rear seam helmet with the quick disconnect chinstrap hook, would this be a potential (very late war) WWII setup? I've tried to search the name and ASN but nothing shows up. Does this say that would be a post WWII used helmet, perhaps Korea? I'm not sure how complete the library for ASN #'s is. The 60th was inactivated November of 1946, and not until 1966 was it reactivated, so I would think that this would put this helmet in the 1945-46 range, but the ASN # database includes enlistment through 1946, so I'm not sure what to think. My last question is when was the latest picture seen with insignia being painted on the side of the helmet for the 60th?

Thanks,

Alec

H19536-L242019476.jpg

H19536-L242019463_original.jpg

H19536-L242019486.jpg

H19536-L242019496.jpg

H19536-L242019493.jpg

H19536-L242019471.jpg

H19536-L242019497.jpg

H19536-L242019499.jpg

Interesting, is the just the camera or are the chinstraps OD3? They looks almost to be sewn OD3 with J hooks. Not sure If I've ever seen J hook chin straps in OD3. 

12 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Interesting, is the just the camera or are the chinstraps OD3? They looks almost to be sewn OD3 with J hooks. Not sure If I've ever seen J hook chin straps in OD3. 

The hook end was designed to be easily replaced in the field.  It doesn't require any tools to install.

5 minutes ago, aef1917 said:

The hook end was designed to be easily replaced in the field.  It doesn't require any tools to install.

Ah I see, It's also interesting to see the OD3 chinstraps on a rear seam helmet as well though. Must be a very early rear seam helmet. Question for the OP: if you can make it out, what is the heat stamp number? 

Usually for a rear seam helmet I would say that the likelihood of it being used during WW2 would be very very unlikely for a unit like this, however, I guess it is possible that this was an occupation era helmet, pending the originality of the markings. 

1 hour ago, huntssurplus said:

Ah I see, It's also interesting to see the OD3 chinstraps on a rear seam helmet as well though. Must be a very early rear seam helmet. Question for the OP: if you can make it out, what is the heat stamp number? 

Usually for a rear seam helmet I would say that the likelihood of it being used during WW2 would be very very unlikely for a unit like this, however, I guess it is possible that this was an occupation era helmet, pending the originality of the markings. 

This helmet is actually going to be in an upcoming auction, I have reached out to the seller to see if they can provide the lot number.

This helmet is actually going to be in an upcoming auction, I have reached out to the seller to see if they can provide the lot number.

Ah okay. Might provide a more helpful clue. If it’s an early rear seam it would increase its likelihood of WW2 era use.

The ASN in the liner coincides with a different name then what is written in there. There are three “Charles Kiss” in the database, and the serial number, 45019479 coincides with a John L, Mutchman who enlisted on 10 December 1945.

It’s weird someone would put in a random name and serial number into the liner as they look to be painted at the same time. I guess it’s always possible the liner isn’t original to the helmet, but it still leaves some unanswered questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, huntssurplus said:

Ah okay. Might provide a more helpful clue. If it’s an early rear seam it would increase its likelihood of WW2 era use.

The ASN in the liner coincides with a different name then what is written in there. There are three “Charles Kiss” in the database, and the serial number, 45019479 coincides with a John L, Mutchman who enlisted on 10 December 1945.

It’s weird someone would put in a random name and serial number into the liner as they look to be painted at the same time. I guess it’s always possible the liner isn’t original to the helmet, but it still leaves some unanswered questions.

I was reading it as 46019479 which comes up with nothing in the serial # search. I have asked the seller to see if he can get a more direct photo of the serial #. Do we know how complete the serial number database is for WWII enlistees? If it is mostly complete I would guess that this soldier enlisted after 1946. 

image.png

I was reading it as 46019479 which comes up with nothing in the serial # search. I have asked the seller to see if he can get a more direct photo of the serial #. Do we know how complete the serial number database is for WWII enlistees? If it is mostly complete I would guess that this soldier enlisted after 1946. 
image.png.c470cdea0a73abb86ced2e8a837c18e5.png

Ah okay that is a possibility it’s a 6. The database is relatively complete. I haven’t really come across NOT being able to find someone in there. Usually I find no results because a name ends up being sort differently or a different name is used.

There is a Charlie Kiss with a 420.... serial number, but the rest of the numbers don’t match at all.

I don’t believe the data base has any enlistment dates for after 1945, but I find it somewhat hard to believe that this person would be able to enlist sometime in 1946, receive training and get stationed overseas in a unit that was going to be deactivated by November of that same year, but it is possible I suppose.