1870's Display

Gbrown1

I am new on the sight.   I thought I would show one of my displays.  Sorry about the glare but I have not figured out how to take a picture of it without glare.  Maybe someone has insight on that.   I possibly could have the wrong Model number so if I do please be kind and give me the proper model year.   I am far from an expert and trying to learn and grow each day.  Items in the display are as follows - M1872 enlisted folding campaign hat (reproduction - have not found original to purchase yet), 1872 Kepi officer hat for Garrison duty, 1872 Kepi enlisted for Garrison duty, Late 1870's Field blouse and Field trousers, M1872 Cavalry Boots, M1872 Experimental Brace system which includes the belt, brace system, Cast brass "US" plate and Carbine sling - This is one of three known as they were not popular with the soldiers. M1872 Hoffman swivel holster with cleaning rod, M1872 dyer pouch on the back of belt not seen, Modified US embossed Civil War Cartridge pouch, M1872/74 saber hangers, M1859 light enlisted saber, M1872 meat can, M1872 US Army Canteen, M1872 Haversack, M1874 utensils, M1872 stable frock (missing pants has I have not found yet) and M1859 Civil war carbine sling.   Hope you enjoy!

1026264831_1870display.jpg.bf12493bf1a8f53e0cfc6c0b63a525a8.jpg1143133565_1870display1.jpg.8a175ede1ba5e4c8220f58774f9b90b2.jpg2065571388_1870display2.jpg.c8b36423d56cdbbdb396c73f48175235.jpg2038373011_1870display4.jpg.ec6cada348af7af169637120fbd2662a.jpg745977815_1870display5.jpg.1b1185ddb351cebe1604701a5f5e84fa.jpg

Thanks for sharing! That's a fabulous display! Amazing collection! 

Two questions . . . which is the  Carbine sling that is the unpopular one? And which is the meat can? Did it come with meat in it, like rations?

No the brace system that went over the soldiers was unpopular.  The men felt restricted so they cut the leather brace off and just wound up with the belt.   The meat can is in back left hand corner and is silver color with US on front.   During the civil war the soldiers had to put the meat ration in the their haversack and on hot days the grease would get every where and on everything so the meat can came up.  They could put the meat ration in it and the top of can could be used as a drinking source.  This way the grease would not get all over there items in the haversack.

Wow! Thanks for the clarification! That is so interesting! Love the description of the meat can! Very interesting. Never heard of those!

US Victory Museum

... and an 1889 cotton duck fatigue coat.    This item fits in at the tail end of the Indian War era; they seem to

turn up in more photos from the Spanish-American War period.  Yours photographs very nicely.  I was fortunate

to acquire mine when fellow forum member, Mr. Sanow, was thinning out his collection.

I, as well as others, welcome your contributions to this forum.  

Love the display, echoing what others have said, the Indian Wars are a very unrepresented time period, not just on this forum, but in historical study in general. Thank you for sharing a wonderful display. I'm looking forward to your future contributions as well. 

Sorry I can't help with the historical correctness of the items,

But that is an Excellent display. I really like the display cabinet. 

Semper Fi

Phil

Hello Gbrown1

That is an excellent display.

Indian Wars era is sadly underrepresented here

I agree with the above and I have been trying to get more IW era on this board by posting my stuff but most of the interest is WWII

Anyway, here is some of my accumulation

https://pbase.com/45govt/45govt

Thanks Don

frontierregiment

Hi Greg, excellent display! You almost never see the 1872 cavalry brace anywhere. Any chance of seeing more close-up photos of it? Most available photos in books don't show much detail on how the shoulder straps connect to the brass belt slides/loops on the back of the 1872 cavalry saber belt. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of converting a reproduction 1872 infantry brace into a cavalry brace for living history use. They seem fairly similar, besides the integrated carbine sling and the lack of the brass buckles & rings to carry a valise-knapsack.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

hello Greg,

back to the Forum after a while.  Somehow a late comment but 100% sincere  -  a FANTASTIC and realistic display, and the same for that other from the 1880s.  Well done!!

Franco.