JQMD 1950 Black Leather First Aid Kit Pouch

Brian Keith

I have this black leather ammunition pouch that I think is for the .38 caliber revolver. Is that correct? It is also interesting in that it was made at Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot and dated 1950. It appears to have been originally made black; the smooth side of the leather is dyed and polished. Where the belt slides through, you can tell it was polished black prior to construction, not brown and dyed black. In 1950, the Army was still using brown leather. Did Army MP’s at that time wear black? OR-it is marked on the inside of the flap, 3690th Air Police Squadron, so, at some point, it became Air Force Property. Were Air Police using Black Leather in 1950? If so, is it unusual that an Army Depot is making Air Force equipment? Does anybody know what the official name of this pouch is? Note the fastener is nickel color also, not brass. It measures about 4 1/2 inches wide by 3 ½ high.

Thanks for looking and any additional information.

BKW

P2010279.JPG

P2010281.JPG

P2010282.JPG

P2010283.JPG

That is actually the pouch for the first aid packet. If I recall, the Air Force was the first to use black leather for the Air Police. I have had several black M1916 holsters dated 1950 over the years. They all looked to be manufactured with the black leather and not re-dyed. I have seen this pouch dated 1948, I think, in russet leather.

Tim

9 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Great Photo Patches, thanks!

Anybody know where the 3690th Air Police Squadron was in the 50's?

BKW

Yeah I tried a search on the unit, got no hits. one lost to time so far, maybe even with being an Air Force Reserve unit.

Charlie Flick

The black USAF M1916 holsters for the M1911A1 .45 pistols were made in 1950 and 1951 by Boyt and Bloomberg Leather Products.  I don't believe that either company made the black belts, the FAK pouches or the pistol magazine pouches.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for fixing the title and the additional information. I do find it interesting this was made at the US Army Quartermaster Depot in Jeffersonville, IN. for the Air Force. It will go well in our "Made in Indiana" exhibit.

Best Regards,

BKW