Colt M1911A1 just added to my collection

brad k

I recently added this to my collection, a very nice origional finish colt. it has a matching numbered slide and was made in 1943, somebody made it into a target pistol but it hasn't been messed up and is an easy restoration, just a matter of swapping out parts. I still need to change the sight's and trigger.

does anybody have a milled colt trigger in nice condition ? I already have the sights.

ebaya 004.JPG

ebaya 003.JPG

The trigger, hammer, and grip safety all have to be replaced besides the front and rear sight.

Brad K; PM me about parts if you haven't found everything you need.

yes I changed the hammer, grips, barrel, grip safety, fireing pin and other small parts. it looks better than the pictures, just some light holster wear.

Could be thick ring hollow back. 1942's like mine are thin ring hollow back, then they went to thick ring hollow back and then ribbed.

8 hours ago, collector said:

Could be thick ring hollow back. 1942's like mine are thin ring hollow back, then they went to thick ring hollow back and then ribbed.

8 hours ago, collector said:

I don’t recall Clawson mentioning a thick hollow back grip? 

On 2/4/2021 at 12:44 AM, gap said:

I don’t recall Clawson mentioning a thick hollow back grip? 

I have both examples, the thin ring on the 1942 Colt, and thick ring on the Rem UMC ( but those were later arsenal refurb replacements). Externally they look similar to the ribbed ones. The ring refers to the outside area around the screws. Think they are known as Coltwood?

Can't speak for Clawson.

1011A1ColtGripsInner.jpg

thin ring.jpg

thick ring.jpg

On 2/4/2021 at 2:47 AM, brad k said:

their ribbed wth mold numbers, I had to buy them, it had hoag grips on it. I'll try to take a pic. this weekend. 

You can possibly pick up some hollow backs on the web, I think it would work for a '43 Colt, not sure exactly when they went to ribbed. Didn't the '43s also have the blued barrel?

Expensive though to make a representative example of that year.

ribbed is correct for 1943, hollow back is earlier. yes I have a blued colt barrel with an F mark. thorin6 is helping me out with a hammer & trigger so I have everything I need now.

I had to put a correct hammer and magazine in it. it was carried by a navy corpsman but I got it through a third party and didnt get any information on the owner. the hammer that was in it was a later flat side one and the mag was an early key hole mag.

Thanks for the pics, never have had a blued 1911 or 1911A1, would like one of course.

The 1918 I have would have been blued originally, but was arsenal parkerized later.

It would not have come with the C-S or C-R marked mags? 

the colt marked mag's were used in the late '30's to 1941 or 42. the early ones were two tone and late ones were fully blued with the bottoms parkerized. I added this one to the gun, it had an early keyhole type lanyard loop magazine in it when I got it.  

Learning more about mags now, thought the Colt 45 marked ones like yours were post war, but now looks like a small number of the commercial ones were used in some early 1911A1s (like yours). Ran across some stuff on periods in the type before the 45 and like that in some contentious threads on other sites too, but don't know who to believe. Don't have Clawson, so just looking around on the web. Did learn that there was a certain magazine for Rem UMC, but since mine went through arsenal refurb I'm not going to go through a fit of collector madness, although would be nice to have. Have used coolgunsite and a couple of 1911 sites.

look at the O in colt on mine, it is kind of elongated, the post war ones are round. rem umc mags have a shorter toe at the bottom. I bought the clawson book when it was new, both the big one and small one, now they sell for more than what I paid for some of the pistols. the poyer and the meadows books are good also and not as expensive. I have a rem umc that I'll take pictures of and post when I get a chance

Yes there seems to be some debate as to what magazine would be correct for an RS inspected M1911A1. There is one source that says that the bottom of the fully-blued mag should look like this, although there was discussion on the Colt Forum a while back that the correct magazine for an RS Colt circa March-April 1941 should be fully-blued with no sandblasted base and unmarked.

DFD91E73-599A-42E6-BC09-D7C339E140EA.jpeg

CFC84B89-BD1F-4333-8F55-4BB0D71D0BA3.jpeg