We Lost a Buddy: RIP Jim Robertson aka Flage Guy

PQD

Just a few minutes ago, I learned that my beloved pal for over 30 years, Jim Robertson (Flage Guy), passed away on Jan. 23, 2021 at age 68 of chronic liver disease.  It is a huge understatement to say I am gutted by this news, and Jim's loss to me can only be compared to the passing of another dear, dear friend in this hobby, author/collector of SS uniforms and camo, the late Mike Beaver, some 16 years ago.  

It was just days before his passing that, unbeknownst to me, Jim and I were having our last exchange's on the subject we loved the most right here on this forum:  U. S. Army Field Jackets.  I have known Jim since 1990, and we shared a passion for American patriotism, faith in God, collecting WWII military artifacts, and discussing the related history in extreme detail. We used to speak over the phone for hours on these subjects, often doing voice imitations of a certain big-time dealer with great skill and hilarity, and our in-person encounters at the Great Western Show in Pomona, CA were legendary.

I have lost a cherished friend, the country a God-loving patriot, and our hobby has lost one of the great preservationists and participants who furthered our education so very enthusiastically and generously. RIP, dear friend Jim, and give our beloved pal, Mike Beaver, a big hug for me.

Jim Robertson.jpg

Sorry about your loss. It will be a great loss to this forum also. I didn't know him personally but enjoyed reading his responses on the forum.

RIP Flage guy.

Ken

Lucky 7th Armored

Wow, terrible news... I just saw on Facebook.. he was always kind and super helpful to me when I was an annoying teenager asking so many basic questions about USMC field gear that could’ve easily been googled.

This is a huge loss to the collecting realm and this forum. He will be missed.

General Apathy

Another iconic member of the forum gone, such sad news that we will never see or read any of his contributions again . . . . . . .

gone all too soon,  best regards to his forum friends here that will surely miss him.

so sad to have to contribute on hearing of his passing,  lewis

Very sad to hear of this news..

His legend will continue here with his posts and topics..

Condolences to his family

Leigh 

Jim RIP friend.

Flage was one of the coolest guys you could ever meet and hang with.

He had an eagle eye and loved camouflage with a passion.

He would share information freely and enjoy the banter that came with it.

Thanks for being my friend.

owen 

47CC80D0-D59A-4AF6-96A7-04C2AB3C32C8.jpeg

Unwelcome news, to be sure.  I certainly feel for his family, as well as the loss his absence means to our community.  

Rest in peace Jim.

Kurt Barickman

Sorry to hear this news and sorry for the familyś loss. I knew Mike Beaver well too back in my hard cored SS collecting days.

Kurt

Always generous with information and seemed to be a great guy. Never met him in person but interacted many times right here. That'll leave a hole ...

Unbelievable, I can't not express the shock of seeing this come up, he was among the very first members who Friended me shortly after I joined USMF, and exchanged we many PMs on a lot of subjects related to Gear and HBT Uniforms and Field Jackets. He's knowledge on the aforementioned items were par excellence, and his sharing of photos in various forums of his stuff are of extreme value.

My Heartfelt Condolences to his Family and Friends, his Forum Friends, this Forum Friend will miss him.

General Apathy
9 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Jim RIP friend.

Flage was one of the coolest guys you could ever meet and hang with.

He had an eagle eye and loved camouflage with a passion.

He would share information freely and enjoy the banter that came with it.

Thanks for being my friend.

owen 

47CC80D0-D59A-4AF6-96A7-04C2AB3C32C8.jpeg

Hi Owen,  thank you I have loaned the camouflage you posted in memory of your friend ' Flage-Guy '.

fullsizeoutput_8bc0.jpeg.b91fc12951009b031b1c73f9a88d6a70.jpeg

This is heartbreaking news. I didn’t know him in person, but we did converse on the forum and the knowledge he provided was second to none. We had been conversing only a week ago or so on the forum on multiple subjects.

My condolences to the family, his legacy will continue here in the forum by the many of us who he passed his knowledge down to.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a really sad loss.

I corresponded with Jim about USMC collecting for years, we did lots of trades back and forth. He was a REALLY great guy who was ALWAYS happy to share his knowledge and photos of his collection. If not for him, my USMC collection would not be as good as it is, we busted lots of fakes also. 

Jim will be deeply missed, he was an essential member of this forum in the USMC collecting community. 

Rest in peace Jim. You will be missed and remembered. 

Sincerely, 

Steve

BILL THE PATCH

Not sure if I corresponded with him or not. I hope I did. Sounds like a great guy. Wish I new him better. RIP.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Owen,  thank you I have loaned the camouflage you posted in memory of your friend ' Flage-Guy '.

fullsizeoutput_8bc0.jpeg.b91fc12951009b031b1c73f9a88d6a70.jpeg

This is absolutely magnificent, Ken!  Just beautiful!!!  May I send this to his family?