help identify this pilot wings

donaldnol

This pattern is similar to but does not exactly match wings from several other patterns from known companies.  I am afraid this is one whose maker will never be figured out.

I think the extra metal you referred to is just a product of how this wing was stamped and then trimmed.  I have one in this pattern and its top back edge is thin and clean.

rathbonemuseum.com

As Marty said. What we refer to as the "slick shoulder" or "slick wing" pattern that was very popular post 1919 following the Adams pattern and the "from official die patterns". Many companies made this style pattern and rarely is it maker marked. And as Marty said, the extra metal is "flash" that has not been trimmed correctly. Like when you used to get old model kits and there was all the extra thin plastic from the injection mold process.

Tod

My theory is this badge, and ones very much like it (AE Co, Josten, etc) were made from slightly re-worked Adams-type dies.

I believe the "flash" on the back of this badge is indicative of the hob wearing out.

I suspect (more research needs to be done) Adams dies were available to manufacturers interested in producing government insignia.  As the Adams die design was somewhat plain, a number of manufacturers appear to have slightly re-worked them to include more feather detail, fine lines in the recesses of the "radiator," etc, in the process creating multiple variations of this "slick shoulder" badge.

Chris

I am going to respectfully disagree with Chris on this particular wing being from a reworked Adams die.  A trait of the "From Official Die" wings on Bob's site, and those made/sold by Robbins and many other early companies was the pattern of the stripes on the base of the shield.  Those wings all had the center stripe as being recessed, while this wing has the center stripe raised.  The "From Official Die" and Robbins wings also lack clearly defined feather edges on the inner row of feathers, while those on those wing are clearly defined.  

Although the wing styles are completely different, the individual feather details look the most similar to those on this other wing.

Old style wing-1.jpg

4 hours ago, cwnorma said:

My theory is this badge, and ones very much like it (AE Co, Josten, etc) were made from slightly re-worked Adams-type dies.

I believe the "flash" on the back of this badge is indicative of the hob wearing out.

I suspect (more research needs to be done) Adams dies were available to manufacturers interested in producing government insignia.  As the Adams die design was somewhat plain, a number of manufacturers appear to have slightly re-worked them to include more feather detail, fine lines in the recesses of the "radiator," etc, in the process creating multiple variations of this "slick shoulder" badge.

Chris

good to know this thanks

As I understand it, that the Government offered lead "hubs" of the Adams pattern wings.  Companies could then use these hubs as a base for the making new wing dies that they could then use to manufacture their own products.  I recall reading that in one of the early wing books, but cannot recall where.

It is my suspicion that the "from official dies" wings were just that, made by the Phil. Quartermaster.  But its clear that many other companies were making "Adam-style" wings.  From what I recall, many of those dies came from the hubs provided to them by the quartermaster.

As for the OP wing, I suspect that these are slick/graduation wings from the 40's and 50's. This particular pattern with the characteristic rough back are very common and usually show up with the incised STERLING mark and clutch back pins.  In fact, I believe you can find 4-5 being sold on ebay at any one time (. I doubt that they are from anytime close to the 20's. But that is just my humble opinion.