An M1 in the time of COVID

ClaptonIsGod

Not trying to make light of the pandemic, but I recently picked up an M1 face shield to represent a 1960s-1970s National Guard helmet, and it has the double purpose of probably acting as decent virus protection today if paired with a mask. That said, I won’t be wearing it to the store anytime soon. Just a portrayal of one of the more uncommon and forgotten configurations, and perhaps would’ve been a more common sight if M1s were still in use today.

054973DA-B130-4507-8C26-DBE61C074507.jpeg.ba1cfd80c5659f443bc4e7320c3df534.jpeg

1 hour ago, kammo-man said:

Has the helmet had its up to date shots ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s waiting for its second dose of the vaccine currently, crazy how an inanimate object beat me to getting one...

We got those face shields from the Training Aids Service Center (TASC) at Fort Lewis in 1979 and used them along with Daisy BB guns that were modified to sort of resemble M16 rifles. 

We used them at the mock city for what was then called Combat in Cities, later called Military Operations in Built-up Areas (MOBA), then called Military Operations in Urban Terrain (MOUT).

I was on the second floor defending a building and managed to get three shots right in the bare throat of a "bad guy" across the street before he finally wised up.  Then the bad guys got in on the ground floor of the building I was in and started shooting up through a hole in the floor, and a BB came in under the face shield and hit me in the upper lip.  Bled like a stuck pig and one of my buddies was screaming "Medic!" until they stopped the fight.  Yeah, it stung, yeah it bled, yeah it left a scar, but sheesh!  Good times.