4th Infantry Division M1918 Jacket

huntssurplus

Hey everyone,

I’m a big fan of WW1 uniforms and other items, even though I don’t collect much of it. However, for my second jacket (the first being a blank m1917 coat) I ended up finding this 4th ID one for a price I couldn’t refuse.

I’m not nearly an expert in this field though, so I’m looking for some opinions on it. For being over a 100 years old at this point, it is in remarkable condition. And I do wonder if maybe the patches are not original even though the jacket itself is. Please enlighten me a bit on the purchase, If the patches end up not being good, I bought for less then what a similar jacket without any insignia would go for. Jacket looks like it might be a private purchase.

Patches don’t look like they glow under UV light and from what I can tell from some reference threads, the good overseas chevrons seem to be right for the era. The 4th ID SSI seems to be sinker to some variations I’ve seen as well.

Let me know! Thanks!

bfe70e176fa875c4ba7112576d40a8dd.jpg

76eddd61cc507bd2dda88d19e63de988.jpg

06c4f7ec3e7751b3db5f8b99d5ed1b8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2278cfdadb6ade34b52fb4ce404ab978.jpg
d4f0df850b77ce15e4df91b53f4ce067.jpg
c8ff1ce478213cdd2d3bccdf0a2eae3e.jpg

Something about the squiggly collar mark seems familiar. Almost certain I’ve seen or read about it on the forum here before, but can’t remember it’s meaning or significance if it had any.

d5ca0a6cec672c77cf4d819463029cd2.jpg

7e5b917a8bb40a73fc525612549d2740.jpg

Let me know if you need anymore pictures! Thanks!

Also if anyone has any unit yard longs or photos from I company, 4th ID during WW1 if you could post them that would be great! I’m guessing there was one I company per regiment, so there would be 4 possible options for this time period? No name in the jacket unfortunately.

It looks good for my two cents worth, nice condition for sure.

Thanks for the opinion, sounds like my eye with WW2 uniforms has transferred over a little bit!

Marchville1918

everything looks fine to me. It is a private purchase uniform. You might look in the pockets and also the inside pocket. sometimes there is a label with the soldiers name.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I’ll give the pockets a look, I took a quick peek in all of them but didn’t find any labels then. Might have missed something though! As always I appreciate the help!