One of the unusual hazards of hunting on a military base

Rifleman188

And its still where i first saw it,  I dont trust mortar rounds as i believe this is if not please identify for me.  
the toe of my boot will give you some scale.

FC74B974-4315-41C4-826D-0FF38B96C479.jpeg.bc4ddb61f9ee4806fc9d69c4dd3885e6.jpeg

I would ask what type of military base ( US Army active duty, USA Reserve Training base, inactive NG base)....but I would guess you reported it to the Range Control, MPs. or On-base recreational office or whoever approved your hunting permit for safety reasons.  They should take care of it....

Looks like a WW2 era M56 HE 81mm mortar round, OR an M57 White Phosphorous 81mm round .  Fuse looks like a PD type from the pic, not illum.  Whoever dug it up is lucky it didn't rupture, or worse.  Definitely best left for the EOD folks.

suwanneetrader

Being 83 my memory for dates is not so good.  But I got to deer hunt at Ft Knox KY in the mid to late 60s.  I belonged to a club there where mostly past and present Military and law enforcement were members.  I was not but many friends who were so I had an invite.  Saw more deer in a bunch there even till this day.  Was a driving rain storm and a huge area of really big  Cedar trees.  I sought shelter under them and so had 30 - 40 deer.  I left them alone as we were sort of together.  I found two sold rounds I don't remember the cal. anymore but they were about 8 to 10 inches by 31/2  inches with circling copper/lead  band you could see the rifling on it.  Believe they were tank fired embedded partially into a rocky hillside. They sure got heavy toating them out.  I kept one of them until about 5 years ago when I sold it.  I agree if you can not see the front,  side and the end of it to be sure not primed/explosive do not touch it.  The guy I was staying at his place was a 20+ year top Sgt and he told me it was safe and there were 1,000's of them and no one was going to say anything if I had a couple.   It was humorous but even then if you got close to crossing out of the hunting area a helicopter appeared over head.  Richard