Help ID red triangle on yellow background insignia on WWII helmet from south eastern France

Jean-Loup

Can anybody recognise the badge on this helmet found in the area of Nice, South Eastern France?

The units that operated in the area where all the paratroopers of the FABTF (FSSF, 509, 517, 551st), and then the 44th Anti Aircraft Division (65th Porto Rican Infantry, 899th AAA, Japanese 442nd RCT, 68th Armored Infantry).

The colors yellow and red seem to indicate artillery. Some of the artillery units that were part of the FABTF or the 44th AAA were 937th Field Artillery, 460th and 463rd Parachute Field Artillery Battalions, 601st and 602nd Pack Field Artillery Battalions, 522nd FAB, 421st FA, 68th Anti Aircraft artillery....

Can anybody ID this for sure?

Below, the helmet, and some of the unit badges, with similar colors and some with triangles.

Thanks

JL

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_7088.PNG

2021-01-29 08_20_04-937th field artillery – Recherche Google .png

2021-01-29 08_20_16-937th field artillery – Recherche Google .png

I recall seeing similar insignia on helmets of 1st AD in Italy. I think the ones I saw were a white circle with a black triangle. Perhaps this was an armored artillery unit assigned to the 1stAD????

Larry

CavalryCombatant

As others have said I generally associate that type of symbol with armored, perhaps yellow indicates cavalry and red artillery?

19 hours ago, LarryM3 said:

I recall seeing similar insignia on helmets of 1st AD in Italy. I think the ones I saw were a white circle with a black triangle. Perhaps this was an armored artillery unit assigned to the 1stAD????

Larry

Interesting you should say. I acquired a helmet like the one you are describing a couple of years ago from Steve Klima at m1helmetdepot, both of us didn't know what the insignia were for at the time, but I already had a strong feeling it was associated with an armored division and took my chances. It took me a couple of months to finally identify the unit, needless to say I was in awe when I found out, here is that helmet accompanied by a period 1st AD picture. Mine's lacking the battalion designation for some reason, I've seen others in the mean time, it may be the best time to share them with you. Although the division was never in France, elements may have crossed the border at some point, who really knows. 

afa0fa2eee23fbc5_landing.jpeg

helmet.jpg

download.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

15241937_1288530594536534_7722105864434195627_n.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts guys. As far as I know the only armored units in the area where the 645th TDB, and the 19th and 68th Armored Infantry Battalions. 

I wrote an email to the webmaster of the 68th AIB website asking is he can recognise the insignia...

JL

• 3 weeks later...
Burning Hazard

On 1/29/2021 at 12:29 AM, Jean-Loup said:

Can anybody recognise the badge on this helmet found in the area of Nice, South Eastern France?

The units that operated in the area where all the paratroopers of the FABTF (FSSF, 509, 517, 551st), and then the 44th Anti Aircraft Division (65th Porto Rican Infantry, 899th AAA, Japanese 442nd RCT, 68th Armored Infantry).

The colors yellow and red seem to indicate artillery. Some of the artillery units that were part of the FABTF or the 44th AAA were 937th Field Artillery, 460th and 463rd Parachute Field Artillery Battalions, 601st and 602nd Pack Field Artillery Battalions, 522nd FAB, 421st FA, 68th Anti Aircraft artillery....

Can anybody ID this for sure?

Below, the helmet, and some of the unit badges, with similar colors and some with triangles.

Thanks

JL

Looks like a similar helmet popped up on eBay today:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/WWII-WW2-US-M1-Helmet-Front-Seam-Swivel-bail-with-Netting-and-Liner/193901237176?hash=item2d256a13b8:g:8yQAAOSwkvRgGw6-

Back of the liner says 361st Engineers. However I'm wondering if it's original as the 361st looks like was written in sharpie?

Pat

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks alot for posting that!

It says in the unit historiesonline thatthe unit shipped out of Marseille, so there is a southern France connection. 

JL

I can't ID the markings on your helmet but you may want to look at this website that has a lot of info/photos of Engineers in Southern France: http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=361st&gsc.sort=

Also, I have no info on the Ebay helmet for sale, but it does look like the 361st Engineers (361st Engineer Special Service Regiment) performed heavy construction work with the Normandy Base Section and they were not in Southern France.

Tom

361st Engineers.jpg

"Also, I have no info on the Ebay helmet for sale, but it does look like the 361st Engineers (361st Engineer Special Service Regiment) performed heavy construction work with the Normandy Base Section and they were not in Southern France."

It is noted on google that they left France via Marseille, so presumably they were in the area for a few days.

Also, the Nice area was used as a recreation area for Us troops on leave, so it is possible to find items from units that were never involved in southern France.

JL

After doing a little research on trying to match the name with a current branch from the ebay one. I'm fairly confident this was him. Hospital admission confirms Engineer. weather the writing to the rear of the liner is newer or not, I believe it is a match. potentially written as a commemoration to his unit? The only thing is, does that triangle insignia belong specifically to the engineering unit he belonged to, or insignia of say maybe of an attachment. i havent really been able to find too many specifics on the 361st essr, other than what basic searches have yielded. the main reason im curious is i decided to pick this one up. ill likely follow up with slightly better pics and more research if i can75487193_1432417287.jpg.3db7a21c200b7f2c9806569fb260aa17.jpgii

porcell record overview.png

porcell hospital admission.png