SAW M-249 cloth magazine?

Fly USMC

Is this a cloth Magazine for an M-249 SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon)? I have seen the plastic 200 round drum, but not these (until rescently). I picked up two of them the last few months from two different sources. The zipper has a snap to keep it closed while firing. Who uses them (USMC, SOF, Rangers, Seals, regular infantry)?

Thanks and Semper Fi

John

post-5056-1233040411.jpg

post-5056-1233040425.jpg

post-5056-1233040438.jpg

OK, partially answered my own question. found a pic on the internet after googling M-249. I will post as referance. still not sure who they were issued to. Everyone or just a select few. In thsi photo it is being used by a Soldier attached to the 2nd Mar Div (oohrah and Hooah!).

S/f John

post-5056-1233041072.jpg

They are regular issue as part of the weapon's "components of end item" to anyone, Infantry, SF, Marine, AF Security Police, Admin Clerk, or anyone else assigned the weapon system. The TM authorizing them is the same TM co-used by the Army, USMC, and USAF. The "components of end item" usually meant that anything so designated was part of the weapon system. So, if you were issued the weapon, you should have been issued the pouches too. The trick was to track down the old gunner and get them back. They had a tendancy to get lost as small stuff does or not turned in with the weapon when it was reassigned. IIRC, there were two pouches authorized per weapon.

The original ones were khaki colored when they first came out. Then the woodland ones came out in a lighter weight material.

Just a note....

You will also see AUSCAM ones being used.

I'm not certain who made the bag version first.....but you do see a lot of the AUSCAM ones being used

throughout various countries. I'm sure though, that it didn't take the U.S long to manufacture their own,

such as the khaki and woodland verions.

One thing I have noticed about these, is that they are more so used with the collapsible Para M249's, such as in

the earlier photo provided.

Not to say they aren't used with any configuration, but from what I have seen....it's more so on the version I have

mentioned above.

For other patterns that they are manufactured in....not sure, perhaps there is an ACUPAT version?

I haven't collected modern / current militaria for quite some time now, so I am a bit out of the loop with all

the new updates on kit!

Just my three and a half cents....

Duffy

OK, partially answered my own question. found a pic on the internet after googling M-249. I will post as referance. still not sure who they were issued to. Everyone or just a select few. In thsi photo it is being used by a Soldier attached to the 2nd Mar Div (oohrah and Hooah!).

S/f John

i know its off topic... but that looks like army combat uniform camo... idk about his patch i dont really follow units and such... just wondering? army or marines?

The uniform is ACU - Army Combat Uniform. The patch on his right shoulder - the "combat patch," denotes former wartime service with a marine unit.

I don't recall exactly which units, but some Army units served under marine command and were specifically authorized to wear the marine patch on their Army uniforms.

You will also see AUSCAM ones being used.

I'm not certain who made the bag version first.....but you do see a lot of the AUSCAM ones being used

throughout various countries. I'm sure though, that it didn't take the U.S long to manufacture their own,

such as the khaki and woodland verions.

The Auscam ones were being used by the Australian Defence Force as early as 1990 in 100 rd and 200 rd capacity (known as collapsible magazines). I can't ever recall seeing a hard box magazine on an ADF Minimi (type classified F-89) save for trial pictures. I too have subsequently observed the Auscam magazines appearing on different countries' Minimis and can only suppose that the ADF were the first to field these.

Filupe,

Yes, the dates you have mentioned seem very correct.

For foreign use, Canada was using them as soon as they were deployed in Afghanistan, it wouldn't

suprise me if they still had them....they were also using them prior.

I have also seen them with the woodland versions.

As for the Auscam ones, I believe they were one of the first designs of such a pouch, if not

the very first.

Most of the time I see them, they are mainly on the para version M249's.

The regular box type is mainly used on the regular, un-modified set-up.....ex: original set-up,

without modifications.

Everybody must have used them in the start.

Duffy

Thank you all for the great info. Since I have two, I will probably post one in the for sale section within a week or so. PM if interested

S/F

john

Thank you all for the great info. Since I have two, I will probably post one in the for sale section within a week or so. PM if interested

S/F

john