Tomahawk pouch?

Fly USMC

I am guessing that this was for a tomahawk. I picked up this pouch at a swap meet for $1.00 so figured that I couldn’t go to wrong. To me it looks like a rigger made attachment for web gear. Any thoughts? era? used by?

post-5056-1233039888.jpg

post-5056-1233039904.jpg

post-5056-1233039920.jpg

Any thoughts out there on this one? I have heard of Recon , LRRP and SF bubbas using tomahawks in Vietnam any truth to this?

Thanks John

Charlie Flick

Hi John:

I don't have my references handy but I believe that what you have is the carrier for the Axe, Camp of WW2 vintage. It was made by Collins and perhaps others. The carriers that I have seen have been made by Hotze and maybe others. I have a couple in my collection. They come with M1910 double hooks so I would agree that your example has been filed modified.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

The cover looks like it is marked Norlund, probaly a private purchase small Norlund hudson bay hatchet, the Collins would be to wide to fit Flys narrow carrier.

IMG_0120.jpg

Charlie Flick

Cherokee:

I think you are right. In looking back at the pics it does appear that Fly's carrier/pouch is too narrow at the edge end to accommodate the Collins Camp Axe. Glad to see that you guys are paying attention! thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Charlie