original, repro, or restrike

cannon jockey

cannon jockey

I'm looking to get a bit of schooling on old medals--specifically those issued early in the 1900's for Spanish American war and related occupation forces.

I see Cuba and Puerto Rico US occupation medals listed on eBay (fakeBay if you like) with reproductions listed at $20 or so and then a few claimed original at only $30 or so.   Then I see some others  listed as restrikes in the $30 range.  Lastly, I see a few others listed at over $120 that have edged stamped serial numbers.   The low priced ones seem to have a pin back that looks a bit modern (same as what was used when I was in the service) to me while the more expensive ones have a  pin back a bit less sophisticated.

I guess my real question is if the serial numbers prove originality or was that something that was just simply discontinued as time went on?   Also is "restrike" just another name for reproduction?

Cheers

I'll try to give you a "quick and dirty" answer to your questions, but would encourage you to go to our medals forum and explore the contents there. You will find a great number of threads devoted to specific medals or groups which contain those medals. Use the search function to find specific medals that you are interested in seeing.

Now for your answer... Many of our earlier campaign medals were issued well after the conflict for which they were minted like the Civil War Campaign and the Indian Wars Campaign medals. Others were minted fairly quickly after the conflict. The government began striking the medals at the US Mint, but over time, the chore was transferred to private companies that would do similar work, thus freeing the Mint up for other projects. Many of the original strikes of these medals was not sufficient to provide a medal for each service member who earned one. As requests for medals were made, the government had to have subsequent examples of the medals struck to meet the demand. These are typically referred to as a restrike by collectors. They were official medals, but not from the first minting of those medals. Additionally, museums, armories and other worthy entities were requesting examples of these medals for public display, which again cut into the the number of strikes made for veterans.

There was also at the time, a few businessmen who were making items to sell to veterans. Men like George Studley were actually given permission to strike similar medals for sale to veterans. Studley and others were able to supply suitable examples of medals to veterans when those medals were not available through official channels. Most collectors consider these medals to be reproductions, but they are still collected as they were the medals owned and worn by veterans. 

Here we are 100 years past World War I, but there is still a demand for WWI medals. Families requesting medals for ancestors still trickle through the system. The government has to have medals to provide to the families of those who earned them. Even now, Civil War, SAW era medals, and even WWII, Korea and Vietnam medals are still being procured by the military to issue them.

As collectors use the term fake- we typically use the word to describe medals that were made or altered to deceive. The most common fakes are later restrikes that have been numbered by spurious individuals to fool a collector. Some medals are being made in China because there is a world wide demand for medals that aren't easily found or ones that command a high price. As an example, it is illegal to sell a Medal of Honor in the US, but there are still collectors who want one. Certain individuals are meeting that demand by having medals made in China that approximate the medals that were issued. Some of these medals are rather crude, but some are fantastic. Remember, China is the number one manufacturer of FAKE US vintage coins. Some of them are so good that it takes an expert with expensive measuring instruments to determine a fake.

I hope this helps.

Allan

cannon jockey

Thanks Allan,

I feel a bit foolish now--not having realized that there was an actual sub forum discussing medals and awards.    I must have just 

skimmed over it when I was looking through the various forums after I joined recently.  Anyway, thanks very much for your response.  I does confirm

some of my speculations.

Regards,

Bob